When I finished college on a Friday.. Just had to get off that 345 and go for a few jars,The Badger Box was always popular..is it still open? Remember always bursting in Annesley!!

It is still open and sells good food as well as drinks...... I used to go there years ago, great times......

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

This photo of, I'm afraid, not very good quality is of interest in that it seems to show a double decker on the central area free bus service 88. It's not completely certain, as I can't make out what the sign in the left hand windscreen says, and although from the angle the route number could be 88 it also may be 33 (although route 33 didn't go along there and if it did the proper destination would have been displayed).

I tend to think it was on the 88 as I don't know why else I would have taken the photograph (which I've forgotten doing!).

I think the year was 1972.

It's also of interest in showing something of the side view of the Theatre Royal across the car park where the Empire used to be, with the fire escape on the dressing rooms area.

NCT207820in20Nottingham201970s_zpsgc6hhh

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the picture was taken about where one of my favourite music shops, Nequests used to be. It looks like a 33 to me.

BTW I spent ages last night trawling through this thread and loved it. Can't say I was very interested in buses in my younger days but looking at some of the old photos was fascinating and brought back some great memories.

My old man never had a car so we used the bus all the time to get around. We walked a lot too, unlike my 20 year old son who uses his car to go everywhere.

As a 20 year old myself in 1970 I used to catch a Boots workers special (No 11) on Gregory Boulevard. I think it commenced it's journey in Arnold finishing up at The Beeston site. It was often late due to the one man operation and one day my boss had a moan which on reflection was way out of order.

I always used to sit upstairs with my mates and most of us would get through at least three fags on the journey. The bus ceiling had the usual yellow/brown deposit the shade of which you could use to date the vehicle!

• Like 1

Missed you by a couple of years Catfan, I left Boots in October 1972 to go to Uni in Salford.

I think the No 11 was introduced about 1969 because in 1968 when I joined Boots I had to catch a 43/44 to Canning Circus and then catch the Boots special on Derby Road.

BTW there was a very arsey guy called Mr Lord who used to use the No 11 and on several occasions when it was late he used to have a go at the driver/conductor which was also out of order because the traffic congestion was beyond his control. I'm pretty certain they were one man operated even in 1970 which would also delay things but you would know better than me Catfan.

My good friend Brian Revel's dad was a conductor then an inspector on the NCT buses in the late 60s early 70s did you know him Catfan?

#664 Mess - I have my doubts about it being a 33, although admittedly I only have two lists of route numbers available to me - in 1950 the 33 is shown as running between Aspley and the City Hospital (in which case it wouldn't have gone past the Theatre Royal), and in 1978 there was no route 33.

Perhaps Stephen Ford can help with this?

Of course the blinds may just happen to have been set to show 33 and it wasn't operating on a proper route at all, hence the sign in the windscreen and the lack of any destination on the indicator.

The bus is standing more or less where the further car is in the photo shown here:

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4578&page=2

Thanks Merthyr Imp looks like Nequests was a bit further down. I think The Empire had been closed some time when I frequented Nequests.

I must do some reading to discover more about The Empire.

BTW Park Drive were the ciggie of choice for a 14 year old novice smoker like me (I quit years ago). Red pack for plain, pale blue tipped. You could buy them in 5s which was why young smokers took to them. Some shops even sold cigarettes singularly.

#668 - Yes, I wondered about Goose Fair - although if I remember right 'Goose Fair' was available to show on the destination blinds.

#669 - Tens of Park Drive were the biggest selling cigarettes in our shop in the early 1960s. Three ha'pence change out of a two shilling piece - I suppose that sticks in my mind after so many years because we sold so many. And prices never seemed to change in those days.

I remember five Park Drive Tipped sold for 10½d.

#666. Mess.

Could have been operated by Parliament Street Depot at that time, some routes were one man operated then but not any from Bulwell Depot.

When I went on in '74 we did that service with a conductor, later becoming one man operated.

I can't remember a inspector Revel off hand but the name is vaguely fimiliar, it will most probably come back to me later !

I wonder if that bus was a service 38, a short version of the service 39 ? Some of those Daimlers were used on that route early '70s.

• Like 1

#675. Balloon; I thought she was pregnant! The destination blind doesn't seem to have a name on it, but there is a temporary sign in the front window. Difficult to make out, but first letter is E. Could it be EXPRESS?