• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

34 minutes ago, catfan said:

If it's the same Eric then yes !

Eric Biddulph lived on Birrell Rd. 'Young Eric' was Eric's son and my cycling mate. 

There used to be a Transport Dept Band and Eric played the Saxophone and his mate Mr Rice played the clarinet. Eric was on the Bulwell run mainly and there are references to several bus routes. Ian will be interested in this book too. I will bring it to the next meeting.

• Like 1

Had a good one yesterday, the lady and a lot of other people were waiting in Arnold for a well late bus.

When it finally arrived a passenger getting off said "Don't get on at the driver he is having a really bad day". Turns out he left Nottingham in a new electric bus which ran out of charge he arrived in Arnold in a diesel. Nearly as bad as the trams.......

• Like 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsO1CYfhjaits0ceODIVeRound about 1960-ish on a Saturday we would get on one of these in town, after we'd been to the Gaumont and had lunch in Woolies cafe and waiting for the coffee bar crowd to gather in the evening, and ride out to Daybrook/Valley road. It cost 2d. We'd sit on the bus at the terminus then ride back, another 2d. We'd do the same on the trolley routes as well. It was a sightseeing education.

A relative of mine did it often and regularly for a couple of years on every route in town and was on first name terms with the conductors and inspectors. Which is just as well really, the said relative was only 11 or 12 at the time.

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to ride on a bus and stare. (Apologies to Eng. Lit. Fans)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

In my early days at NCT (Piccadilly) just up the road from Mekemson it was a normal & regular thing to climb out of a Corpo bus at Piccadilly & then walk across the road & climb in a "Macko's" bus & do a bit more. It was quite usual until NCT put the blocks on that & forbade any employee from doing any work for the opposition, even working while on holiday from NCT. A lot of drivers did a lot of work for Pat Camm of Camm's Coaches.

Never affected me, I went wagon driving on my days off etc.

Makemson also had a couple of coaches.

Macko's old garage today.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9944366,-1.1901369,3a,75y,28.1h,87.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR8NXTk1p2wo5iyv69HImvQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 2

IIRC Makemsons also did a service from Hucknall to Bestwood Pit at one time. I kind of remember going on it with my grandfather once, probably in the early 1960s. It was pay day and he was on holiday so he had to go to the pit just to pick up the money. That was a half-cab single decker with a conductor, who was totally bemused by the fact that a youngster was travelling on the service.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, Willow wilson said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsO1CYfhjaits0ceODIVeRound about 1960-ish on a Saturday we would get on one of these in town, after we'd been to the Gaumont and had lunch in Woolies cafe and waiting for the coffee bar crowd to gather in the evening, and ride out to Daybrook/Valley road. It cost 2d. We'd sit on the bus at the terminus then ride back, another 2d. We'd do the same on the trolley routes as well. It was a sightseeing education.

A relative of mine did it often and regularly for a couple of years on every route in town and was on first name terms with the conductors and inspectors. Which is just as well really, the said relative was only 11 or 12 at the time.

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to ride on a bus and stare. (Apologies to Eng. Lit. Fans)

This bus or one similar was parked in the Market Square for bus crews to use as a mobile canteen at one time.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Mick, the one used as a canteen was a pre-war AEC Regal, the one in Willow's picture is one of the four postwar AEC Regal IIIs

To me a bus is a bus is a bus ! Just a device to earn a weekly wage. I never really took much interest in em, more like an older version of plug'n'play !  smile2

• Upvote 1

Having donned my anorak, Phil Groves excellent 1978 history of NCT shows that two of the pre-war AEC Regals wre converted to mobile canteens and were numbered 801 & 812 in the ancillary fleet. As only NCT service 25 used Huntingdon Street, I wouldn't have thought that there was any great call for one of the canteens to have spent much time there.Slab Square and Trent Bridge/Victoria Embankment would certainly have provided rich pickings for the mobile canteens

• Like 2

Newcastle Chambers was a grimy, smelly greasy place, awful. After nipping in there for a cup of tea & leaving 15 minutes later you smelt like a chip pan !

First vehicles to have "Spring brake actuators" - I remember having to overhaul them . - first time we saw them on the bench we said - blimey (or words to that effect) - how does that tiny circlip hold the two halves of the chamber together when it took 1 ton of pressure to relieve the tension on it !!

• Like 2

On my HGV test the examiner asked what "Spring Brakes" were ? I was tempted to say May, Easter etc but thought otherwise & gave the correct answer !

• Like 5

Saw a safety video showing what happens if you don't wind the spring before taking the circlip off. It was a bit spectacular/

• Like 1