rob237

Buses in Nottingham

Recommended Posts

Great pic, stood there many, many times. Looks like a WBUDC single decker waiting behind, a Swift?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so TBI..might be the one that changed hands.Yes i recall this place and Turneys Quay laying empty for years  and then being labelled as "Yuppy Flats".

Topknot Hairdressing, Boots Social, small Newsagents..was there a Dry Cleaner or Pork Farms.

Trent Bridge Cafe was a fave after fishing...huge bacon cob and a pint mug of tea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBI it is an AEC Swift behind the Regent V at Trent Bridge. However it is not one of the ex WBUDC East Lancs bodied examples. It is one of the Northern Counties bodied batch 707-712 (PTO 707-712G). The give away is the large white painted front bumper bar that is just visible. The ex WBUDC examples did not have this feature.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that info Deepdene..i was wondering.

Had these two tagged for ages'low level' the photo is titled..BRR_242_C.jpgis that why they are long..past the rear axle?

Ian.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, thanks for info Deepdene.

 

I remembered the single decker as a Clifton route, perhaps used because of the railway bridge at the end of Wilford Lane?

 

The GEM ad on those Broadmarsh buses made me chuckle. Shop and save... mam did the saving but I got lumbered with the shopping, used to get sent off on me bike with a list. Wobbled back with a saddlebag full and a bag hanging off each handle-bar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCT206420in20_Milton20_Street20_Nottingh64 RTO, on Milton Street- the 36 stopped outside the Peacock.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice motor in it.s day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks for that info Deepdene..i was wondering.

Had these two tagged for ages'low level' the photo is titled..BRR_242_C.jpgis that why they are long..past the rear axle?

Ian.

Ian, the two WBUDC AEC Renowns were lowheight, as nature intended, so they give the illusion of being longer past the rear axle. The NCT versions had a full height 14'6" body fitted onto these chassis which were designed for low height bodies. NCT were looking to obtain maximum headroom on both decks and acheived 6'1" on the lower deck and 5'10.5" on the upper deck. The extra height draws the eye away from the rear overhang, which was in fact the same on both the WBUDC and NCT examples. Also the emergency exit door is in the rear on the WBUDC examples allowing a full length window at the rear of the body, whereas NCT had the emergency exit in the rear offside corner. This again gives the impression to the eye that the NCT Renowns had a shorter rear overhang.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Ian, the two WBUDC AEC Renowns were lowheight, as nature intended, so they give the illusion of being longer past the rear axle. The NCT versions had a full height 14'6" body fitted onto these chassis which were designed for low height bodies. NCT were looking to obtain maximum headroom on both decks and acheived 6'1" on the lower deck and 5'10.5" on the upper deck. The extra height draws the eye away from the rear overhang, which was in fact the same on both the WBUDC and NCT examples. Also the emergency exit door is in the rear on the WBUDC examples allowing a full length window at the rear of the body, whereas NCT had the emergency exit in the rear offside corner. This again gives the impression to the eye that the NCT Renowns had a shorter rear overhang.

Where they the one's with the electric gear change Deepdene ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mick, yes they were. Only WBUDC, Wolverhampton Corporation and King Alfred Motor Services of Winchester purchased semi-automatic Renowns. Plus there was one of the two AEC Renown demonstrators that was built with a semi-automatic box

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember doing half a shift with a conductor on the free Gem supermarket to Clifton service, felt really strange driving one after manual gearbox Renowns !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad, thought they were fantastic, much better to drive than the NCT manual ones. He also preferred the handful of semi automatic Regent Vs that came from WBUDC.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is Deepdene, those buses had had an easy life on WBUDC, a few shifts on Bulwell would've loosened em up a bit !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have posted this because ..the times i sat in Hughies Cafe on those stools..watching the tramps from Boston Street dossing in the ruins.65341.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgLammas House. Behind Huntington St .Depot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 9:16 PM, catfan said:

Thing is Deepdene, those buses had had an easy life on WBUDC, a few shifts on Bulwell would've loosened em up a bit !

Dad, says you could take your time on the Bridgford routes, must have been a culture shock when they linked them with the Bulwell routes in the late 70s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 'arf..that Catfan was never done for loitering that's for sure!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Dad, says you could take your time on the Bridgford routes, must have been a culture shock when they linked them with the Bulwell routes in the late 70s.

It was.complaints about drivers went through the roof.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M10_B-72-1000x1000.jpg63 NAU. The  19 route to Bestwood Est.

The coach paintwork looks a little different.

Quite rare to see many Nottm photos on this stretch of Road.It's outside the Mechanics Institute..the rear of the bus is at the corner of North Church Street..

( where Gunn & Moores was.)

The Zephyr is outside what was Allied Carpets( remember their sale?)..it went on for twenty years!

The lady in the mac..is walking towards the Guildhall. This was all cleared for Council Rent Offices and Birbeck House....which?...yep!...has also gone ..lovely buildings surrended to TK Maxx...market forces??..

Note the Red Stop Sign..was it a wheel used as a base?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to be a clever arse but that Zephyr is a Zodiac. Can tell because under the rearlight you can just see the chrome trim that ran right across the width of the car on Zodiacs only. Yes that is a brake drum. Often used as a bus stop base. Haven't seen one for ages now - perhaps health and safety again? Trip over it and stub your toe :mellow:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now