• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

23 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Could have the good old 28hp engine in it.

My family car has 320 horsepower over 10 times that of OB! No wonder that poor bus struggled to get up the steep hill near our local church when fully loaded.

Had a Bedford 28hp engine in a stockcar i raced it at Long Eaton early 60s with it geared right and a fixed differential it went like the clappers and would give a Jaguar engined stockcar a run for its money on a closed circuit.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

The duple engine was 3500cc and the bhp was rated at 85bhp.

Thanks Ian,

That's a bit better but it still struggled up the hill.

My 4 litre car mentioned above has 320hp, 2.8 times that of the OB and runs 0-100kph(62mph) in 4.5 seconds 

• 3 months later...

This turned up on my Facebook feed this morning. This photo was taken at Sandtoft in 1981. OTV 137 is now preserved in NCT colours, I don't know where. It is not the one at Ruddington. In this photo it is in use as a driver training vehicle for someone up north.

NCT-AEC-Regent-III.jpg

• Like 1

Its owned by Hull in this picture above together with 35 others. It is owned by Sandtoft museum now. That's answered my own questions. Here's is what it should look like. This is the one at Ruddington. My photo:

NSMEE004.jpg

• Like 3

I remember those too. Also some Atlantean 2 demonstrators IIRC a one in demonstrator livery and one in Birmingham City Transport livery. The former was definitely an Atlantean as it had the fact painted in big letters along the sides. I guess the latter might have been a Daimler Fleetline - not sure.

From what I remember of those vehicles, Fleetlines had a straight front from bumper to top, Atlanteans had a sort of bowed front. They always looked bigger to me. But then again, I was only a little driver.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Beekay said:

From what I remember of those vehicles, Fleetlines had a straight front from bumper to top, Atlanteans had a sort of bowed front.

Have you got that the wrong way round Beekay? Perhaps later model Atlanteans were different, more rounded. I do remember that Atlanteans had very noisy engines compared to the Daimlers.

Images from Flickr sorry cannot attribute.

This is a Fleetline 

Trent 531 (RCH 531F) | Trent MT Daimler Fleetline / Alexande… | Flickr

This is an Atlantean

Trent 590 ORC657 Matlock | Trent 590 ORC657 a 1959 Leyland A… | Flickr

32 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Surely what they look like depends upon  which coachworks bodied them. Although Leyland may have done some themselves.

I think that's the answer. There were many variations, even if it all started here...... 

The Leyland Atlantean - press advert issued by Leyland Motors, 1958

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Beekay said:

Think you may your pix arse about face mate. As per R.P. above. ( I'm talking about circa 1965).

Don't think so Beekay, I caught many Daimler Fleetlines direct service from Huntingdon Street to Mansfield in the 60s when going to watch the Reds.

• Fair enough Oz., we ain't going to fall out over it. I just remember the vehicles I drove, but that was nearly 60 years ago. Take care mate.  thumbsup