rob237

Buses in Nottingham

Recommended Posts

You're right Ian, Arkwright Street had the Golden Curry, Star of India (I think) and down on the right an army surplus shop. I bought a pair of Victorian leather fire helmets from them, a bag full of 'em in the basement. Still have them, on the wall in the front room. 

My one "fogride" to lead the machine to a fire in the fog was to a shop fire down there on the left, just after Crocus Street Bridge. That was on the old Norton, November 1971 I think. 

 

Hilarious !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40046897015-1d65640e34.jpgGot to be a 17.. ETO I70L...outside Trinity Square..1973.white window rubbers.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger, I have clicked your link but just get a message from google accounts to sign in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to drive that bus for John Clarke. He sold it after he retired. Don't know if anyone knows the story but that is the bus that the engine fell out of while he was under it. The engine on those Bedfords is mounted in the middle of the floor and is fitted from underneath. Put the engine in the pit, push the bus over the pit and lift the engine in from underneath with a crane inside the bus working through the access hole in the floor of the bus. Clarkey was working on his own with the engine approx. in place (over his head) suspended on the crane by chains. He was busy putting the engine mounts in place when the chains weakest link broke. He was under the engine at the time and he ended up in the bottom of the pit with the engine on top of him. His daughter found him in the pit as she was alerted to the incident by his even bluer than usual language. Ambulance etc. were duly called. The engine had to be cut off him as one of the engine mounts had gone right through his hip. Obviously he survived this. The bus was left in this state until he was fit enough to finish the job himself. He always walked with a bit of a limp after that!

 

Incidentally John Clarke Coaches was on Dovecote Road, Newthorpe although it is still Eastwood to me. His wife is still alive and still lives at the same address.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger would have ironed all them problems out. Ace Mechanic!696.jpg696?..bit sketchy on this one..Valley rd..or is that Basford bridge leading to Vernon Rd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bus is coming off Nottingham Rd, with the bridge over the railway in the distance. It's about to cross Valley Rd.

The large building behind the front of the bus is the St John Ambulance HQ.

The current state of this junction is now 'controlled' by traffic lights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

I used to drive that bus for John Clarke. He sold it after he retired. Don't know if anyone knows the story but that is the bus that the engine fell out of while he was under it. The engine on those Bedfords is mounted in the middle of the floor and is fitted from underneath. Put the engine in the pit, push the bus over the pit and lift the engine in from underneath with a crane inside the bus working through the access hole in the floor of the bus. Clarkey was working on his own with the engine approx. in place (over his head) suspended on the crane by chains. He was busy putting the engine mounts in place when the chains weakest link broke. He was under the engine at the time and he ended up in the bottom of the pit with the engine on top of him. His daughter found him in the pit as she was alerted to the incident by his even bluer than usual language. Ambulance etc. were duly called. The engine had to be cut off him as one of the engine mounts had gone right through his hip. Obviously he survived this. The bus was left in this state until he was fit enough to finish the job himself. He always walked with a bit of a limp after that!

 

Incidentally John Clarke Coaches was on Dovecote Road, Newthorpe although it is still Eastwood to me. His wife is still alive and still lives at the same address.

 

I bought it directly from John Clarke - I remember him telling me at the time that he had replaced the engine, but he didn't tell me about the incident mentioned above.

I sold it to a young fella who took it to Ireland as his mobile home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Roger would have ironed all them problems out. Ace Mechanic!696.jpg696?..bit sketchy on this one..Valley rd..or is that Basford bridge leading to Vernon Rd?

Ian, the fleet number will be 596, NCT's highest numbered trolleybus was 601

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye official title was ''Van lad''.............6 months based at Midland station........taking parcels from the Trains (steam) over to Parcels office on Station street........then onto the Vans,,delivering all over Nottingham city.........all the shops and Lace Market ,,, girls everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,happy days,, but then came the call of Marsdens,, more girls and travel to exotic places.......Arnold,,Netherfield,,West Bridgford,,Stapleford,,Long Eaton,,Beeston,,Chilwell,,Mansfield,,Sutton,,Kirkby,,Blidu'th,,Renu'th and many more...........lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Aye official title was ''Van lad''.............6 months based at Midland station........taking parcels from the Trains (steam) over to Parcels office on Station street........

Just out of interest what was the Parcels office is now the NHS walk in centre,,,went a few months ago,,seemed strange,,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.Arnold,,Netherfield,,West Bridgford,,Stapleford,,Long Eaton,,Beeston,,Chilwell,,Mansfield,,Sutton,,Kirkby,,Blidu'th,,Renu'th and many more...

Ben, I can't remember a Marsdens in Bliduth or Renuth, CO-OP stores yes but not a Marsdens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until 1974 the City Council was responsible for allocating plates for all newly registered vehicles in the city. So they could provide sequentially numbered plates for the city transport and other departments. All City fire engines had 999 in their registration number.

 

In 1974 the DVLC took over responsibility and they didn't provide the same facility.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks bamber, that's cleared that up. Maybe you can answer my next one, what were the contacts made of at the end of trolley poles?. At first I thought carbon/graphite but surely that would wear away quickly if they're rubbing along wire!. Then I thought brass, but again, even though brass is self lubricating, they would wear just the same! Or were they changed on a regular basis?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Googling comes up with ‘Morgan Avanced Materials’ - carbon trolley bus inserts. Various carbon compounds apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Waddo said:

Ok bus guy's (and gels) it might be answered here somewhere, but why were some of the buses numbered as per their reg, and others not? Just out of curiosity.

That changed when bus registration numbers were allocated differently, Nottm started to get Derby numbers etc. GRC series .eg.

So NCT just plodded on wjth fleet numbers having nowt to do with reg numbers !

Was a bit strange at times looking for a particular bus in the depot !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you a zookeeper Den?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...