rob237

Buses in Nottingham

Aye official title was ''Van lad''.............6 months based at Midland station........taking parcels from the Trains (steam) over to Parcels office on Station street........then onto the Vans,,delivering all over Nottingham city.........all the shops and Lace Market ,,, girls everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,happy days,, but then came the call of Marsdens,, more girls and travel to exotic places.......Arnold,,Netherfield,,West Bridgford,,Stapleford,,Long Eaton,,Beeston,,Chilwell,,Mansfield,,Sutton,,Kirkby,,Blidu'th,,Renu'th and many more...........lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Aye official title was ''Van lad''.............6 months based at Midland station........taking parcels from the Trains (steam) over to Parcels office on Station street........

Just out of interest what was the Parcels office is now the NHS walk in centre,,,went a few months ago,,seemed strange,,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.Arnold,,Netherfield,,West Bridgford,,Stapleford,,Long Eaton,,Beeston,,Chilwell,,Mansfield,,Sutton,,Kirkby,,Blidu'th,,Renu'th and many more...

Ben, I can't remember a Marsdens in Bliduth or Renuth, CO-OP stores yes but not a Marsdens?

Spot on Willow ..potters house..black beams and horse brasses..and artexed walls?

Ian.

• Like 1

Thanks. I reckon its the same bus with that funny passenger door. Looks like its got a big fat door pillar with only a half width door.

When I went with Dunn line on me PSV assesment they took me around Sellars Wood in it. So it was in Bullwull then. Dunn Line's depot at that time was on Nuthall Road.

• Like 1

Yes Malcolm..i recall the bi-folding door at the rear..i hung around this yard ..the bloke Mac didn't seem to mind..sure they had a box Commer lorry for training also.

• Like 1

Northern Cemetary to the Mkt Place & back ! Umpteen times per shift.

• Like 1

Ok bus guy's (and gels) it might be answered here somewhere, but why were some of the buses numbered as per their reg, and others not? Just out of curiosity.

• Like 2

Until 1974 the City Council was responsible for allocating plates for all newly registered vehicles in the city. So they could provide sequentially numbered plates for the city transport and other departments. All City fire engines had 999 in their registration number.

In 1974 the DVLC took over responsibility and they didn't provide the same facility.

• Like 2

Thanks bamber, that's cleared that up. Maybe you can answer my next one, what were the contacts made of at the end of trolley poles?. At first I thought carbon/graphite but surely that would wear away quickly if they're rubbing along wire!. Then I thought brass, but again, even though brass is self lubricating, they would wear just the same! Or were they changed on a regular basis?.