rob237

Buses in Nottingham

They might have been copper rivets thinking about it, later on I think the linings were bonded to the steel shoe doing away with rivets, couldn't do anything with them when they were worn out,just chuck em in the scrap bin, clutch linings were riveted though, the linings I used to replace/repair were on old Ruston Bucyrus face shovel clutch bands, and heavy Heathfield rigid dump truck brakes and the dust was to die for,,,,,,,literally. oh happy days

Rog

• Like 1

Here's a 10 for then Ian

north_ings1_(1).jpg

Rog

• Like 3

19 hours ago, catfan said:

That brake noise used to make yer teeth itch !

I haven't heard anybody say that since I was a kid.

• Like 1

Not Nottingham but it is an old bus

2009_1012Octoberaviation090020.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Vf5077392.jpg

• Like 3

An old bendy.

Garaget-Barh-ll.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, plantfit said:

Done plenty of drilling out of the brass rivets,removing old linings and re-riveting new linings myself, quite an art to get the rivets lined up correctly so they sit in the counter sunk holes level, that was when the linings had a lot of asbestos in them, no wonder my breathing is shot

Rog

Did similar with my old RMA Riley in the 60s. I used a bolt as a spigot to support the rivet. I got the box of brake shoes and a bag of rivets from Ferodo in Heathcote street, anybody remember that place? They were trade only so I had to do the buying using a letterhead from Market garage.

• Like 1

A newer bendy

York_(1).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember them WW, got the rivets in a little cloth bag, thanks for the memory jog

Rog

On 2/6/2019 at 8:07 PM, Mess said:

I think along with the number 45 service the 43 and 44 were the longest bus rides terminus to terminus that NCT ran. I used the 43 and 44 regularly but never did the full journey of Bulwell or Colwick  to Trent Bridge.

Can anyone remember how long the journey took? IIRC the fare to Trent Bridge from Bulwell was 6d in the early 60s

I believe the longest single journey was the 53, out of Bilborough depot. It ran from valley road at Mansfield road end, then ran to end  of Middleton boulevard, (before queens med days). It was then extended to the end of South church drive, Clifton. It used to run on a Sunday. As a conductor I worked the second Sunday it was out. On the first journey from Mansfield rd.we eventually got to Clifton about 25minutes  late. We were so busy that I'd had to refuse 8 pushchairs before we got to Dunkirk. I reckon all the world and his brother wanted to visit relatives in Clifton. We lost a full journey during our shift. Never seen so many people ! B.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

That bus route number 29 city hospital used to run out of bilborough depot, duty no.B295. It was a long part day shift being the only one with built in overtime. It ran from the city up to city hospital and waited there for a hour before bringing back the visitors. Shift used to start about 07.30(ish) and finished about 20.45, but I could be mistaken. Didn't bother going home after first bit, just hung around the depot playing snooker etc. B. PS. Don't recognise the crew though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Decin Czech Republic 2007 

f5438808.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, catfan said:

Driver Vic Brooks & Conductor Bhogul, taken 1974 outside Bulwell Depot.

That service extra was transferred to Bulwell early '70s.

The registration on that vehicle shows as 1965, I left bilborough depot in early 1967. We were still doing the hospital run  then. Another bit of useless information, I always volunteered to work Christmas day 10..00 till 4.00pm if I remember right. Now as I look back I think those years on the buses were the best of my working life.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, catfan said:

I couldn't agree more BK. 

Buses are not just a job CF, but more a way of life.

14 hours ago, catfan said:

Driver Vic Brooks & Conductor Bhogul, taken 1974 outside Bulwell Depot.

That service extra was transferred to Bulwell early '70s.

The registration on that vehicle shows as 1965, I left bilborough depot in early 1967. We were still doing the hospital run  then. Another bit of useless information, I always volunteered to work Christmas day 10..00 till 4.00pm if I remember right. Now as I look back I think those years on the buses were the best of my working life.

Mess posted on 7th Feb 2019 about coming to Nottingham and not being able to get down Station Street.  I was already aware of that, however we had a taxi to the Midland Station the other week and that was allowed to turn off London Road into Station Street. 

I have a query that maybe someone can help with.  

We have a relative arriving into Nottingham on a National Express coach from Heathrow on Thursday, well it saves a 6-7 hour round trip for us picking him up doesn’t it?!!  Where is the closest place we can park to collect him from the drop-off on Station Street?   

Park in the Forest, then get the tram there and back Lizzie, or will he be loaded down with luggage ?

An idea FLY but a bit of a round-about way.  

It's the Bentick end of Station Street where you get ticket it's been pedestrianised, think it's on a camera, some still go up there, turn off Canal St onto Trent St, Station St back onto London Road, National Express can be tracked online or park in Hooters wait for the call drive round? 

• Like 1

...what RR said. 

Go along Canal Street, turn on to Trent Street and follow that round until you find yourself outside the old Boots building (now Capital One) alongside the railway station.    https://goo.gl/maps/DhQYgFVjuwv

It's normal parking meters to pay for however long you need.

10 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

...what RR said

Or posted :crazy:

• Like 1

On about buses, although not Nottingham buses, just watched a brilliant little film called "666 Edgware". Only about ten or twelve mins long. All about trolleybuses. Just thought I'd throw this in. Excuse me for interrupting. It was on talking pictures at 09.35. B.