rob237

Buses in Nottingham

Hempshill Vale again..minus the snow..needs a bus wash though.20901492-668422270023810-658062013063255

• Like 4

Even those bendy buses would be better than the silly trams we have now!!

• Like 2

This has been in my 'intended' box for a while

...thanks from Timeless moments..those blue & yellow NEP Austins dashing about....brilliant snip of our past.

• Like 6

Don't get much better than this.27972841-745184235680946-795681947273597Bulwell Depot- Piccadilly.

• Like 5

Tram lines still down as they were at Bunbury street sheds as I remember when I were a kid

Rog

Good bit of forward planning i think, in anticipation of things to come!! Obviously didn't plan for the building to go though, never mind, they can't think of everything!!

If my memory serves me correctly, just near the old newspaper place on parliament st, the road was dug up years ago and not far beneath the surface were the old tram lines. I would think that it's the same in other parts of Nottingham as well.

• Like 1

There are some pictures on here somewhere of tram lines being exposed at the bottom of Derby road and around the bottom of Market street areas

Rog

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 6:18 PM, IAN123. said:

Bilborough?Bus-Slide-Nottingham-4.jpg

Where actually was Bilborough Depot? I know, obviously, it was in Bilborough!!

• Like 1

Think it was up Beechdale road near the back entrance to Harvey Haddon (I think)

Rog

• Like 1

Plantfit just beat me to it !

On a current map look for Harvey Road (off Beechdale Road) in Bilborough. There is a large building now occupied by Nottingham City Homes; that was the bus garage.

• Like 2

Thanks for confirming Clif ton, you don't happen to know what year they finished there do you, difficult to find information like that now we seem to have lost catfan and Ian123

Rog

29 minutes ago, plantfit said:

difficult to find information like that now we seem to have lost catfan and Ian123

Rog

A significant loss to the Forum - we need to ensure we don't lose any more !!

• Like 2

I thought moe nearer the 80's Den, I seem to remember cycling up Beechdale road and seeing the buses on my way home, but then again my maternal granny lived in the area (Glenbrook crescent) so you are probably right

Rog

Well spotted in Long Eaton anyway

bus.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Back in the 50's when the trolley bus termini were at Trent Bridge and Wilford Bridge, did they stack the busses ready for the Saturday afternoon football turn out? I can't remember, but hardly anyone had a car and many of the away side supporters would need to get to Midlands or Vic stations, in addition to the thousands heading back to town or Bullwell etc..

I'm not sure if there were ever any 'Football Specials' which went as far as Trent Bridge; I think people walked from the stations (anything from Vic would've gone to High Level) and/or the city centre.

There's lots of old photos showing a solid mass of people walking along London Road towards whichever ground, and even now on a match day it's quicker to walk along there than drive.

• Like 1

Early eighties there were football specials from Trent bridge to town, if there were any spare drivers on Saturday afternoon. Not sure but I think they went to Market and Trinity square.

• Like 2

I remember 'special' buses in the sixties which used to park up at the end of the embankment on match days. Not on the turn-round, on that stretch just through the gates. Not sure if they were trolleys though.

As CT says, the vast majority of the crowds went up London Rd and on Arky they often spilled on the road holding up traffic..

43 minutes ago, TBI said:

I remember 'special' buses in the sixties which used to park up at the end of the embankment on match days. Not on the turn-round, on that stretch just through the gates. Not sure if they were trolleys though.

As CT says, the vast majority of the crowds went up London Rd and on Arky they often spilled on the road holding up traffic..

I'm pretty sure there were no trolley wires along Victoria embankment, just some down to Trent bridge depot.

Correct BK, the trolley wires used to finished at Trent bridge end of the embankment, the other trolley wires were at the halfpenny bridge end of the embankment.

Weren't there trolley wires from the works, down along to the end of Bunbury St and left on to the last section of the Embankment to the gates?

• Like 1