Skills Toy Shop

Welcome, Nicholas John. Sadly, our member, Firbeck, is deceased.

I remember an elderly relative speaking of a Bertha Skill in connection with the fishmongery business and I recall Nigel Skill and his wife whose children attended a school where I taught some years ago now.

Although Firbeck won't be answering your post, many others on this site will be interested in the topic.

I, for one, was a regular customer of Skills chip shop on Denman Street when I were a nipper. Bag of chips was 4p, whereas the chippie at the top of Ronald Street was 6p.(used to pass that one to go down to Skills and save tuppence. The shop was a joining the wet fish side next door, so you could walk through from one to the other. Bit daft really as neither had fronts on them, at the end of trading, a roller shutter was lowered on both sides, (made by Watt Simmons, top of Denton street).

Manys the time I've gone down there with a basin for pie and chips with gravy. The pie to be divided between four lads. I can taste them now.