50s & 60s breakfast cereals and free gifts

Can you remember some oth free gifts you got with breakfast cereals.

There was a small plastic submarine that you put baking powder in and it went up and down in a bottle of water.

Remember any more?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly, the subject of many a 60s teenage boys erotic dreams has died today aged 82. Raquel Welch, born Jo Raquel Tejada shot to fame in the movie One Million Years BC in which she had only three

Not a breakfast cereal but my ideal breakfast, not every day though, is bacon, sausage, tomato, black pudding, saute potatoes, beans, fried bread and lots of Worcestershire sauce. Followed by toast wi

David, somehow Brigitte Bardot never did it for me but Ursula Andress coming out of the sea in that white bikini in Doctor No was something else, phwoar!

Little coloured space men with small clear plastic domes on their heads, managed to swallow the clear dome one day, and not forgetting the cardboard cut out animal heads on the back of the corn flake packets

Rog

Anyone remember the sheets of rub on transfers that used come in boxes of Shredded Wheat?

And here's a poser! In which British comedy film does a free gift in a breakfast cereal play a central role in the plot?

I remember I used to get a newly-opened box of whatever cereal, and empty them all out into a bowl so that I could get at the free gift which would be lying at the bottom of the box.

No chance of me waiting till we'd worked our way down the contents and eaten them first

Didn't we used to get some cardboard playthings, like a disk with string through forming a loop, you'd wind up the string with your fingers through the loops and pull in and out and the disk would spin. Also used to play with a cardboard wedge shaped object, you did a sharp downward movement and an insert inside the wedge came out with a bang. Weren't these things in cereal boxes, if not, I have no idea where they came from [unless they were freebies inside a comic?]

I remember them Katyjay, I think they were called "whiz bangs" usually came free in comics, I also remember the spinning discs you mentioned, thread a loop of string through the two center holes and spin the string until it was wound up then gently pull the ends of the string apart gradually pulling the string apart a bit quicker with each pull until the center disc started to hum or buzz, we used to make them out of old bean tin lids but if ever the disc came off the string you would end up with some horrendous cuts on your arms or face

Rog

The only thing I remember was getting a thousand piece jig saw puzzle and it didn't match the picture of the Chicken on the box , it was just orange.....................................................................slywink

• 4 weeks later...

orange what? usual breakfast here was a lump of coal! lol, recall being on a motorbike rally late 60's and this older guy going on about how when skint they used to fry paper towels for a crispy snack, course home once muggins here had out of curiosity to try it, what a mess that made!

Boxed cereal in the 50/60s !

Where did you get the money from ?

We used to get a piece of grilled lino with a slice of orange.

I still make them

Also i remember Robertsons Golly's save ten send off for a enamel badge

Ha ha, cornflakes! The pieces got smaller the further down the box you went.

They still do!

Keeps someone in a job @ Kelloggs... "Cornflake Sorter"

When yoo wuz posh like uz, you had chicken skin sandwiches.

Your'e getting forgetful Derek it was 12. In regard to the Brooke Bond divvy stamps, a full cerd got you ten bob, 2 gallons of petrol for the bike,3 pints Shipstones bitter,and a pack of Beechnut chewing gum....or pictures with a gal,and fish n chips on the way home,thats when I learned about going 'Dutch' Had to have the petrol.

I had the "Guitarist Golliwog" broach, my sister had the "Ice Skater". What did you lot have ?

Never got that far ,My mum would throw my stuff away, Anyway thats a lot of jam for one kid to eat(Only child)

I wasnt allowed to have stuff cluttering up my room.

As for cereal never ate it as my mum would sabotage it with a raw egg even horlicks or Ovaltene got the same treatment i learned how to puke real good

• 5 months later...

I had the "Guitarist Golliwog" broach, my sister had the "Ice Skater". What did you lot have ?

This is the only survivor:

IMG_2795.JPG

I think the ceramics came along later Sue (I may be wrong) all I recall when we were kids was the badge in Compo's picture