50s & 60s breakfast cereals and free gifts

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly, the subject of many a 60s teenage boys erotic dreams has died today aged 82. Raquel Welch, born Jo Raquel Tejada shot to fame in the movie One Million Years BC in which she had only three

Not a breakfast cereal but my ideal breakfast, not every day though, is bacon, sausage, tomato, black pudding, saute potatoes, beans, fried bread and lots of Worcestershire sauce. Followed by toast wi

David, somehow Brigitte Bardot never did it for me but Ursula Andress coming out of the sea in that white bikini in Doctor No was something else, phwoar!

Typical breakfast in Sri Lanka was:

Fresh forest fruits

Freshly squeezed fruit juice

Eggs with toast and chicken sausages

Toast and jam/marmalade

Tea or coffee

In some places cereals are on offer but not commonly.

• 1 month later...

I was looking for a trainspotting magazine in the local Co-op yesterday but most of the magazines seemed top be wrapped in plastic bags full of horrible little toys and stuff.

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

What was your favourite breakfast cereal

A small bowl of Kellogg’s Fruit & Fibre with a handful of extra raisins soon as I get up, works wonders, 10 minutes later I’m running upstairs gripping, clears me out for the day & stops me defecating on the streets. 

Not a breakfast cereal but my ideal breakfast, not every day though, is bacon, sausage, tomato, black pudding, saute potatoes, beans, fried bread and lots of Worcestershire sauce. Followed by toast with Cooper's Original marmalade and coffee. Perhaps a couple of kidneys as well. I don't eat eggs!

• Like 3
23 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Not a breakfast cereal but my ideal breakfast, not every day though, is bacon, sausage, tomato, black pudding, saute potatoes, beans, fried bread and lots of Worcestershire sauce. Followed by toast with Cooper's Original marmalade and coffee. Perhaps a couple of kidneys as well. I don't eat eggs!

I read this and when I got to the bit about Coopers I thought it was an Adelaide full English. Coopers is a local brewery that makes an excellent Pale Ale. Just the thing to wash breakfast down.

As far as I am concerned Bacon is one of the essential food groups.

Coopers Pale Ale | Eastwood Liquor

Roses Lime Jill......about 2/11 when Golden shred'' was only 2/-......back in the 60s....

Bet its over £2 today?

Nice glass though...

• Like 2

I fondly remember the British Rail breakfasts on the London train back in my working days. That was always a full English with kidneys served from a silver tray. Always Cooper’s Original with the toast. On the evening trains they used to start with soup which I though was inappropriate on a moving train.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I hadn't heard of lime marmalade before, but there's a lot of it about so I might investigate.

I find ordinary marmalade a bit acidic but lime doesn't have that effect on me. Spread on some good granary toast, it's excellent. I can highly recommend it, CT. Don't think Wealthall's stocked it!

• Like 1

I switch between Rose's Lime Marmalade, Buderim Ginger Marmalade and Orange Marmalade, but I can't find a decent Seville Orange Marmalade that is slightly bitter with decent chunks of peel in it. Sounds like the Cooper's might be the go but sadly not available here. Most of the Orange Marmalades here are far too sweet.

I make my own marmalade with a can of orange pulp from Lakeland which you can choose whether you want fine, medium or chunky cut. Then just add the sugar (an obscene amount or as you like it) Makes about 10 small jars. So much easier than all that Seville orange prep work. I do love lime marmalade too but I like Keylime pie too.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve never tasted lime marmalade but I do prefer a slice of lime in my G and T rather than lemon.:biggrin:

Phil, my mums favourite drink was gin and Schweppes bitter lemon

When we first came to Arizona, the Phoenix area used the bitter orange trees for landscaping freeways and main roads. Of course, nobody wanted to eat these oranges so the fruit would drop off and eventually the landscapers would remove the dropped fruit. I would see this wasted fruit and think of my dad. He made his own marmalade from Seville oranges and would have loved the wasted fruit. You don't see these trees anymore, replaced by regular trees now, dropped fruit brings rats.  we don't see orange groves, corn fields and cotton fields either, just about all built on now. When we came almost 37 yrs ago, tge population was around 3 million, it's over 7 million now. That's progress!

• Like 1