My link

Anyone remember The Olympia ? I remember one Billboard which announced " Why go to Paris "--- Why indeed when all the Glamour Girls were strutting their stuff right here opposite " The Bogs "

Heres my little contribution to the " Stage "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9J7wP6myo&feature=player_detailpage

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info, I have only recently found the forum. I left Bulwell in 1972 and haven't been back for years, many memories have been stirred.

Not sure which building you are referring to?

When I worked at the Coop in early 70s, the had a store at Main Street

Opposite the pub. Scots Grey, rings a bell?

I always had a feeling that it was an old cinema or music hall?

Not sure which building you are referring to?

When I worked at the Coop in early 70s, they had a store at Main Street

Opposite the pub. Scots Grey, rings a bell?

I always had a feeling that it was an old cinema or music hall?

Mrs Rigby was in the Ticket Booth for a time at The Olympia, The Rigbys lived on Bannerman Rd, they had two sons Tommy & Jimmie, anyone remember them., they would be in their 70`s now.

I always remember having my first Foreign Lager in the Bar " Carlsburg " I believe. I still hate Lager and my tipple is Real Ale.

• 1 year later...

When we came home from school (Common Rag Shop) via the River Leen steps in the bogs, then with wet feet we crossed the road to the Olympia in Bulwell Market and they, just like the cinema's, displayed photo stills in glass cases to show who was starring this week at The Olympia Theatre. The photo's pf the nude models were displayed with paper strips pinned across their breasts. Now we being naughty 10 year olds laid down on the steps so that we could look up under the paper strips. Made a change from Spic and Span or Health and Efficiency magazines from Mathews newsagents on Star Lane ( 8 Commercial Road)

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I once went to see one of the nude shows at the Olympia - all the girls were static, as by law they had to be. I happened to look behind me and saw a chap looking through binoculars!

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

I have a programme from this theatre dated 4th December 1949 in which my uncle Ted Bellerby appears alongwith the Billy Shaw Orchestra - Stan Wagstaffe (Blind Pianist).  The compere was Trevor Edgley.

Mentioned it before, my dad worked there for a while. Once he was assigned to standing in the wings and his job was to drape the girls when they came off stage, with their cloaks or dressing gowns. I vaguely remember waiting for him backstage,  to finish a shift. The Daily Mirrors original ,"Jane" was appearing that time. ( Like I said, mentioned it before).