Bulwell Hall Estate was known in my youth as " Chinatown , because when the tallyman or weekly collector knocked at the door asking for Mrs ***** the answer was " Shintin "

• Upvote 2
  • 3 years later...

A new starter walked in the builders cabin somebody said 'Where do yo live then?' 'Bulwell hall,' he replied and quick as a flash came the reply

' Bleddy ell I bet that teks some cleaning.'

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Worked at moorebridge garage- percy i think was the owner. G. tolley owned the beer off- phils provided the " jockeys whips" -walker and chappell ran the post office?? Can't remember the barbers name... Ivy mathews lived at the back of us.

Was the barbers name Roland? I know there was a barber with that name from bulwell but not sure if it was that one

My ex husbands grandma (work that one out) was a Truswell from Forest side Bulwell. Married a Deller and owned a sweet shop somewhere on forest side/opposite Adelphi cinema and I think Roland was her brother or nephew

• 3 weeks later...

Worked at moorebridge garage- percy i think was the owner. G. tolley owned the beer off- phils provided the " jockeys whips" -walker and chappell ran the post office?? Can't remember the barbers name... Ivy mathews lived at the back of us.

two barbers had the shop early sixties mr keetley and mr cosford

Ah it was Cosford. I remember they called him cossy. Think maybe his mum was a truswell before marriage to a Cosford

Susy remember the sweet shop well- in there after gettin'off the 17 bus!!

The shop owners were wilf and Gladys Deller

I didn't live there, my ex husbands family did. Gladys was his grandma. She moved from the sweet shop to deptford crescent then to Hucknall in the late 90s. She passed away in 2000

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If I remember rightly the barber next to Walker and Chapells was Harry Keating. I had many a haircut there. There is a new barber at the other end of the block now, does a good job but charges a bit more than Harry did all those years ago.

• 3 years later...