As far as I recall, the devil threw it at the Monks at Lenton Abbey and (obviously) missed !!

I highly recommend Castle Rock's tip-of-the-hat to the Hemlock Stone - Hemlock Bitter! Great stuff!

The memory does play tricks, I remember it as being right next to the road.

I thought it was closer also & higher up a hill

I lost something up there

The hemlockstone pub is now called, the hemlockstone and dragon. This is because they now sell thai food in the restaurant.

I wonder how long it will last like this before they go back to the original name.

There is quite a few pubs that have changed the name, only to go back to the original name.

Another place i used to go was Hazelford Ferry or something like that ,I dont have a clue where it was anymore

Another place i used to go was Hazelford Ferry or something like that ,I dont have a clue where it was anymore

Near Thurgarton. Used to visit the pub there, the Star & Garter.

My old boss had a caravan down there & he also had a speedboat so they could water ski on the trent. Don't know if it's still there though, going back over 40 years !

From Nottingham, turn right at the crossroads in Thurgarton, through Bleasby, straight ahead at crossroads bottom side of Bleasby village. AFAIK it's a retirement home now; a former landlady, Muriel Wanless, live in the old folks' bungalows in Thurgarton.

In its latter days as a pub it was a popular bikers' meeting place.

• 4 years later...

I was driving through Bramcote and went past the good old Hemlock Stone. As kids we used to walk to it and spend the day just enjoying it - I don't know if anyone else was the same but we were always told it "Was the rock that fell from the moon".

Best wishes

Peter

We always used to play on the Hemlock Stone but last time I saw it, many moons ago, they fenced it off because of vandalism, same as the major Oak I expect, but it looks, from the pictures, like the area has been tidied up now. I'm sure I used to play footy across the road from there as well.

Me and the old fella used to drink in the Hemlock Stone pub on occasion, wasn't it a Mansfield Ales house at one time?

I think the Major Oak was fenced off as the traffic of so many feet walking underneath it caused the ground to compact and stop moisture getting through to the tree's roots. Stand to be corrected on that one.