I've a life long reminder of the cladding on the Major Oak, as I have a permanent scar as a result of gashing my knee on it when I was about 6.

Thanks for that Carni - I used to go past it when my kids were young on our visits to relatives and they used to call it the rock that fell from the moon. We used to come through Castle Donington - past the key house and I would always tell them the story of how the key ended up on the roof.

Best wishes

Peter

That spiked fence around the Hemlock Stone has been there as long as I can remember, certainly it dates from the early 50's.It certainly discouraged us from trying to climb it as kids,falling to the ground was one thing, getting impaled was another. The only way to get to the top was on the other side from the road, this involved pulling oneself over an overhang, very risky,I was never tall enough to reach decent handholds, but one of my mates once managed it when we were kids, he got to the top, the only person I ever saw climb the 'Stone'.

Have the trees been cleared from the top of the hill yet so the full view can be appreciated.