Hope they don't mind me doing this link, but the Lenton Times website have recently put up an old aerial photo of the area around Sutton Passeys Crescent.

Wollaton Park gatehouse is an obvious reference point in the bottom left corner, with no houses yet on Wollaton Hall Drive; the thing which looks like an ornamental garden on the left edge is the Derby Road/Ring road junction; the canal is still in place - running left to right here (complete with a lock half way along);

WOLLATON

There is another picture on that site showing, Bramcote lane, May avenue and Russel drive, I think from the 50s, as half the houses on May avenue are not built yet, and there is hardly any houses on Russel drive.

One of my mother's brothers (my uncle) lived on Hawton Crescent. I don't think the rose thing is the Derby Road/Ring Road Island, it is the junction of Lime Tree Ave./Wollaton Hall Drive and the ring road. The island would be further to the left.

I don't think the rose thing is the Derby Road/Ring Road Island, it is the junction of Lime Tree Ave./Wollaton Hall Drive and the ring road. The island would be further to the left.

Now you point it out, I see what you mean. My sense of direction went a bit off

• 8 years later...
58 minutes ago, radfordred said:

My apologies another Nottingham post from a postcard dated 1916, as you were

I've been inside there. it's an absolute tip! I'm sure with bit of imagination it could be put to good use.

Thanks RR for resurrecting this topic started by Cliff Ton back in 2011, I read through it and I followed the links to the photos. The two I found most informative were the one which shows the Gatehouse and the drive up to Woolaton Hall where we went today , didn't he own a huge amount of land. the other was of Crown Island , hasn't it changed, I always knew there was a canal there but never seen a photo , so thanks for that.