I was doing some research for another website the other day which involved going through Dan Hyndman's pictorial history of the City Police. It was published in the late 1970s in two volumes covering the period from the arrival of Captain Popkess upto the amalgamation with the County Force.

At one point reference is made to the City Police equipping its vehicles with sirens whose "rise and fall crescendos" Captain Popkess approvingly noted could be heard from a distance of a mile and a half away. Do any old Nottscops remember these sirens as they seem quite at odds with the traditional image of very discrete bells on police cars of the era?

I have an email for Danny.

He is not a member, I will alert him to this topic.

He did send me a picture of himself and Tug but never used it, and now cant find it!

During 1960's City Police Mechanised Division and Traffic Dept used Standard Vanguard Vehicles

supplied I believe by Mitchells. These were fitted with a siren which sounded similar to the

old air raid warning type and were 'very audible' During the Same period Notts Co. Police were

runing Ford Zodiacs wwhich were fitted with a bell. These were difficult to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ex Nottscoppers able to provıde any information? Judging by the context of the article, the introductıon of wireless communicatıons ın to police cars, ıt dates back to the 1930s. The device ıs described as a frictıon drive siren.

• 3 weeks later...

Another interesting Clip from Pathe

Shows Nottingham City Police.

Towards the end is a car that my father had in the early 50s

It was ex forces I believe.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=13755

And what Nottingham Roads can it be seen traveling along?

looked to me to be driving along Shakespeare Street and possibly the building the 2 ran into was the old records office opposite the Shire Hall? just a guess, ps was it compulsory back then you had to have a funny haircut to be in the police?

Those were military style haircuts of the day, "shorter back and sides" Instead of short back and sides.

Towards the end is a car that my father had in the early 50s

It was ex forces I believe.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

http://www.britishpa...rd.php?id=13755

And what Nottingham Roads can it be seen traveling along?

I've watched it by jogging the frames along, and I reckon the first shot is Shakespeare Street outside the Fire Station; behind the car you see the garage which was the old Traffic Dept.

When they pull up and get out, I reckon that is Castle Gate, near the old Radio Trent building

And the car I think is one of THESE which is apparently a Ford WOA2

Thanks Bro

Your link has been passed on to a private Police forum to put the record straight.

I rember my fathers car stinking of stale meat. A smell you never forget.

He worked for Aubrey Hughes Slaughterhouse Lincoln.

• 1 month later...

They dont go in the pubs anymore. :rolleyes:

Rarer than the cockle man! !hungr!

Cor blimey - the cockle man! what memories that brings back. I always used to look forward to his visit to the pub around late evening, just when teh appetite was given an edge by the driink :o)

Even further off topic is the fish seller who used to come down our street when I lived in Annesley in 1969. He used to shout "Any wet fish, fried fish, KIPPERS!" Raising his voice fro the Kippers bit.

And even further off topic was the Fruit & Veg.seller with a horse and cart in Colwick many years ago who used to shout..."Won't be round tomorrow..Donkey's pi**ed on the strawberries!"

I recently bought a DVD of the 1960 TV series "The Strange World of Gurney Slade" Starring Anthony Newley. It is bizzare and entertaining.