And that was a comedian who kept them laughing right up to his end...Must have been a shock to his audience when they found out...

Our family had a few " Stock Phrases " such as " Doing a 412 ". if someone was showing off etc ., this comes from an old Stan Freberg 78 " St George And The Dragon " which is a take off of a popular Cop Show " Dragnet". Where the cops have Numbered Codes for different Crimes etc. A 412 was " Overacting "

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VBcASC9VqzY

Just remembered a classic one from my uncle Dick from Derbyshire , he would say, looking at an object " Does tha know if tha ad the tools , tha cud mek one o` these " . He was a bit of a scrimper and I remember him working on his ancient Austin using a Rolling Pin and emery paper Reboring the Cylinders.

• 8 years later...

"Your name vill also go on ze lizt - vot iss it?" "Don't tell him, Pike!" Philip Madoc and M̶r̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶n̶d̶l̶e̶y̶   Arthur Lowe, in Dad's Army.

4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Les Dawson.

Or more accurately.. his alter ego.. Cosmo Smallpiece.

These two... always a high point on a show full of high points.. pushing the censors to the limit in a different age.. Not so much a catch phrase as a whole new language  "Oooh 'Ello Mister 'Orne.. lovely to varda yer jolly old eek agen.. Don't just stand there. troll in!!"

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Beekay said:

Les Dawson.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Or more accurately.. his alter ego.. Cosmo Smallpiece.

Hah! get out of that, you can't can you?.

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

l"Oooh 'Ello Mister 'Orne.. lovely to varda yer jolly old eek agen.

"Round The Horne" absolutely brilliant radio, way ahead of its time.

Who can forget Rambling Syd Rumpo and J. Peasmold Gruntfuttock and Douglas Smith the announcer.

Charles and Fiona "I know you know I know"

Dr. Chou en Ginsberg MA (Failed)

Oh hello,  I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy with their Poari slang and companies called "Bona"

Its predecessor Beyond our Ken was brilliant too along with I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again"

I still listen to them on digital radio and they are just as funny as they were when originally broadcast. Classic British radio

• Like 1
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

I wasn’t asking :crazy: 

The title of this thread is catchphrase one word? 

A phrase is a group of words that stand together as a single unit..

You're welcome...;)

• Like 1