We went to the Airfield during the war and saw trainee Pilots doing circuits and bumps in Tiger Moths.

http://www.merlinfly...ublication1.pdf

In the R.A.F. I was stationed at Chivenor and one time Worked on a Spitfire as a Trainee Mechanic, what a great engine " The Merlin "

http://www.flyingmac...k/SpitPL965.wmv

( Sorry missed an "l " in Hucknall---cannot edit ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father was in the Auxiliary Air Force 504 Sqdn in the 30s which I think was based at Hucknall, since it was the county of Nottingham squadron. He did weekend training as an airframe rigger. They ha

It certainly does not seem it but it is now 42 years since the last Whitsun air display at Hucknall. The highlight of that show was the U S Navy's Blue Angels formation aerobatic team with their Phant

As you asked so nicely, and as I remembered that I do still have a Photobucket account...

I did my basic training with the NCB right next door to Hucknall airfield at the old number 1 pit. What a delight to see the test pilot fly the Spitfire they had located there. This was in the early to mid 60's.

( Sorry missed an "l " in Hucknall---cannot edit ?

Members can edit their own posts for 15 minutes, after that if its crucial contact an admin or moderator.

Some years ago we had a member who we suspended for editing out his own posts to disrupt the threads.

After he was suspended, he posted foul abuse about members. Since then the settings were changed to 15 mins.

Sadly he is no longer able to post here.

Members can edit their own posts for 15 minutes, after that if its crucial contact an admin or moderator.

Some years ago we had a member who we suspended for editing out his own posts to disrupt the threads.

After he was suspended, he posted foul abuse about members. Since then the settings were changed to 15 mins.

Sadly he is no longer able to post here.

Thanks a " L" of a lot, I have edited but it wouldn`t work on the Title

• 3 years later...

Hucknall airfield alas is no more,it closed last weekend,...........500 new houses to be built on it.........obviously we have to find somewhere to 'house' the half a million immigrants who came to live here in the last 4 years.

• Upvote 2

Having very fond memories of bike rides to do a bit of aircraft spotting there, I was/am very sad to hear of the airfield's closure. Have R.R. disappeared from there too? I'm afraid I'm old enough to have seen many old haunts sinking into a sea of development in this way and unfortunately, this sea is very polluted.

I BELIEVE 'Rolls Royce' own the site,and its them that sold it for development.

You did 'catfan'............and they are re-locating to somewhere near 'Burton on Trent'

• Upvote 1

The Merlin Flying Club has relocated to Tatenhill airfield in Staffordshire. Rolls-Royce remains, but reduced in size, and the rest of the old hangars and buildings from WW1 are still owned by a haulage company.

• Upvote 1

I agree there is one starting near the M1 on Watnall Road, but the original route joined Watnall Road nearer to Hucknall and was a proper road, or at least a bridleway. The current one is barely suitable for walking in places and can get very muddy - plus it is much further round.

The one i mean,goes up the lane at the back of what used to be the coop distribution centre,then past some fishing ponds thru two fields and 'wallah' behold Watnall rd.

a map would be nice.mr cliff ton,sir.

In the early 70's I drove over there to do a parachute jump, all brave I was on the way ....... as soon as I got to the airfield I chickened out. I so wish I'd done it now. My son and his wife have done a couple of jumps and said it's an incredible experience. I'm using the excuse that I'm too old now! slywink

• Upvote 1

Lizzie, ive got an Aunt who went up in a 'Glider' last year she was 83,.......i.m saying nowt about jumps' at Hucknall. lol.

• Upvote 1

What jumps !!!!!!!

NO..................She took off somewhere in Norfolk,......they think she bailed out over the 'Wash'....... :laugh:

After doing a loop de loop over Cromer.

The one i mean,goes up the lane at the back of what used to be the coop distribution centre,then past some fishing ponds thru two fields and 'wallah' behold Watnall rd.

a map would be nice.mr cliff ton,sir.

I don't know the area very well, but I've been digging around. I think this is the present-day area in question; there's a pathway called Fairley's Lane - at the end of the runway, which might be one of the cut-throughs mentioned. https://goo.gl/maps/BCNfx

Thanks cliff ton, the 'Farleys' lane path which i cycle regular,roughly is the old railway line,but studying the map 'notty ashes' old rd could be one of a few.

I don't mean Farleys Lane - I mean the other end of the runway, at the Watnall end of the airfield

Blenheim Lane Bulwell still runs up to the airfield boundary, but the short section from there to Watnall Road was closed when they extended the runway - I assume post-war?

Blenheim Lane now terminates at Woodhall Farm. There is a public footpath from there to Long Lane, at the side of the M1, but it is not suitable for cycling and quite a long way round for walkers.