• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The chav Prayer.   Our Father who are in prison Mother knows not his name. Thy chavdom come thy shoplifting be done in Wilko’s as it is in  Poundland. Give us this

Some good points made here.  I believe there is at least one other issue and that is relativistic education.   'If it seems right to you it is ok'   Absolutes are a thing of the past, and we

Catfan,  What you are saying is so true but I also blame the deterioration of the family unit and of neighborhoods. When I was growing up I was as bad as most and at times, I admit marginally cri

Cheers Pete , I think Danny333 posted it a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have time to read it then, but I have just had a good look through it now , ta

• 1 month later...

I have some large scale maps of Nottingham dated 1880/1/2 (140) with the pubs named there were 6 on Narrow Marsh(Red Lion Street) now Cliff Road alone

I also have a few(100 ish!) dated 1952/3/4 ish)

I have got the 1880 pubs listed listed but have only recently acquired the 1950s maps.

Here are a few

Duke of Wellington Mount East Street

Bunker's Hill Inn Bunker's Hill?Mount East street

Sir Walter Scott Clare Street

Ancient Druid Newcastle Street

Butchers Arms Newcastle street/Newton Street

All the above "went" when Victoria Station was built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

This was run by the Keogh family ,they lived on Private Rd in a mansion.

Turned up at my slum one Saturday morning... as we stood in the yard,my elderly neighbour- fag on/grandad vest with an enamel piss bucket in each hand.

"Just emptyin' the wine buckets iron "

Talk about mortified!!

Hi IAN123 was this the original fountain pub as its look very modern? is it the fountain on Bridle- Smith -gate?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 10:34 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Does that explain why the former "Regent / Blueberry's" is currently called Keogh's Bar ?

edvKLzT.jpg

In 1950 it was The Mansfield Arms

• 3 weeks later...

Some one told me that the Beacon pub on Aspley Lane was where they all would hang out before starting a weekend - I don’t think I ever heard of it and I lived near the bottom of Aspley Lane. When at the Dungeon we would get a door pass and go to the Salutation 

Pubs have always been great places for a bargain,,if you were that way inclined..in about 1997......got to a certain Supermarket on Southchurch drive Clifton just after a famous ''lifter'' had emptied the shelves of all their Nescafe,, a lady who worked there knew him and where he sold his gear,,plus he was clearly seen on cctv......so with the evidence myself and a female colleague went to the Pub in Ruddington where he sold his goods,early doors.

We were only in the bar about 20 minutes and in he came carrying a bag full of Nescafe,,my colleague rang the Police from the toilet and gave them the details,,in the meantime he came over to me offering his goodies,,engaged him in a bit of banter which i'm fairly good at  lol,....then told him who we were and the Cops are en-route,,suggested he sat with us until they arrived,even bought him a Beer,,he complied and we had a nice chat,nice bloke...........Funny thing is about 5 years ago read in the Post ''he had been nicked stealing Coffee in Clifton.....its a way of life for lots like him and they will never change.........God bless em.........

• Like 1

All part of lifes rich Tapestry...........from time immemorial  twas always so....... 

• Like 2