Sure its been mentioned here before.

1970s and before

Spaniel Row was where vehicles registered in Nottingham City would be taxed.

Talbot Street was the County vehicle taxation office.

Each county kept a record of its own vehicle owners on its own card index system.

There was no Police National Computer and after hours Central Police had the keys to

The city office, and Canning Circus held the keys to the County office.

A rank of no less than Sgt would be despatched to search the card indexes for

urgent enquiries such as Telex from Lincspol.... Morris 1000 van wanted for theft

of spuds at Bardney.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Maid Marian Way Before-and-After, with three reference points which have survived; the bandstand in the Castle; St Nicholas' church; the old Radio Trent building.

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historic

There's no doubt that someone was determined to ruin Nottingham and they certainly succeeded. Had they been prevented, we'd now have a city to rival York and Chester. Sheer vandalism!

Re Tax?driving licences etc I recall somewhere else, a very old building, now gone, it was like an

upstairs hall with fancy plastered and painted ceiling, might just have

been for driving licences? not quite as per Nat West main branch but heading

that way, somewhere Foreman St/Burton St, might have been part of NEP

offices, (about 1962)

somewhere Foreman St/Burton St, might have been part of NEP offices, (about 1962)

Glad somebody's mentioned that, because when this subject first came up (this morning) I had ideas of somewhere around Trinity Square, although I can't think of the exact location.

I remember Trent Bridge Schools Career Master Spungin taking us to Formans the Printer Hucknall rd around 1968.

Massive factory and all the mahines had the cost of the machine printed in big letters on

the front of it. Staff care of use?

Same as Ashley I don't remember either the building of M M way or that area of Nottingham before it was built. I remember mam use to take us to a warehouse called "Larkins" I think which was a good way up Hounds Gate but recall nothing else. Does anyone have a map of the old layout, might jog a few memories!.

MMW was built in several stages, ploughing its way through old buildings and streets. In the early stages there was a single-carriageway road called MMW running from approx Greyfriar Gate/Castle Boulevard up to Friar Lane. That stretch was then extended up to Parliament St and it all eventually became dualled.

I remember part of the area because we used to catch a bus on Granby Street (where a lot of buses terminated) to go to my grandma's. Granby Street was the stretch from Friar Lane to Parliament Street, but single lane.

Pic the Past has quite a lot of photos of the area if you search using the various old road names.

Anyway, here's a map from the late 1940s, which may be going back a bit too far. It's interesting because the red lines are described as "the main roads through Nottingham". Try doing that today.

wTGOhQM.jpg

Thanks for the map Cliff although at the moment the only memory coming up is Toby's on Friar Lane, Mam used to take me round the toy fairs close to Christmas, just to look! Toby's was one of my favourites because of the revolving doors, you would not believe how many clouts I got for pushing them round to fast.

Sure its been mentioned here before.

1970s and before

Spaniel Row was where vehicles registered in Nottingham City would be taxed.

Talbot Street was the County vehicle taxation office.

Each county kept a record of its own vehicle owners on its own card index system.

Before the DVLA was introduced in 1974, county registered vehicles were taxed at the County Hall (door facing the river) and City vehicles at Minerva House, Spaniel Row. I think the Guildhall was used before Minerva House.

The DVLA gave us the Local Vehicle Licensing Office (LVLO) that was in Lambert House, Talbot Street as already mentioned. This office was responsible for issuing licences for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Drby and Drbyshire and was an unmitigated disaster. Many an hour I spent queuing sometimes as far as the cemetery on Clarendon Street. It was akin to winning the lottery just to find a parking space anywhere close to Talbot Street.

as mentioned also 1962 (and for sometime after) either the taxation office or/and driving licence issuing office was somewhere Burton St/South Sherwood St/Foreman St, I recall getting my first driving licence, (a red booklet type with all details written in ink) plus other visits

I still have my red book somewhere, issued around 1970.

And the first blue one in plastic wallet, issued at Spanial Row in 1974 0r was it 1975?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

my uncle had a ground floor flat in st james street,Their front door was where the entrance to the hotel and opposite the pedestrian entrance to the car park now is,It was a very elegant three storey house,l worked part time in the "Dive bar"heartygood fellows pub on maid marion way,along with steph leadbetter, we worked thurs,friday saturday sunday,monday,nights,the only form of entertainment was a juke box 6 old pence a play,but it was packed every night,this was 1968/69.

Remember it well Pale, was on the round of a Friday and Saturday night along with the Imperial,Whistle Stop and Sawyers, back in 68,69,70 thanks for bringing back the memories

Rog

re things being buried or sealed, bit off topic but wonder how many pub cellars are still there? with the powers that be assuming all totally filled? recall 2 that were such, The Plough & Harrow off Northgate New Basford was one, as young teenagers we used to go down the cellar after pub shut but still standing, one morning we were in it and same afternoon pub levelled, we watched them flatten and level it without any filling of cave under it, another was Lumley Castle, same done there, and safe for years till a readimix concrete wagon vanished into it during building of hyson green flats.

I think it was higher up nearer the top of Chapel Bar...there's part of it preserved INSIDE one of the new buildings in that area..It was discussed not so long back but I can't find the thread now.