• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Maid Marian Way Before-and-After, with three reference points which have survived; the bandstand in the Castle; St Nicholas' church; the old Radio Trent building.

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historic

There's no doubt that someone was determined to ruin Nottingham and they certainly succeeded. Had they been prevented, we'd now have a city to rival York and Chester. Sheer vandalism!

I think it housed a lift of some description in a hosiery factory. One of those things with ropes and a wooden floor.

That must be Watmough's factory then, Paddock St just above the arrow on the right-hand edge.

I know it's off topic vv Maid Marian Way, but re sweet factories my mum used to buy stock from Watmough's and one on Pym Street I think it was called Paynes? As a schoolgirl I used to go and watch the boiled sweets being made, the mix was thrown over a big hook and pulled. I seem to remember watching rock being made in a simalar way near the clock tower at Skegness too. Does anyone else recall this??

I think that must be part of the Haddens factory, which was a bit sprawling, covering Stanford St/Rosemary Lane/Greyfriar Gate. I'm not sure, but I think part of it may also have originally stood on the Woolworths site.

Closed in the thirties.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Nice now/then Cliff.

I have noticed that the six storey building to the right of the white arrow has survived.. but the modern picture shows the building minus the zig- zag fire escape.

What a buggery they made of this area.

Cliff Ton #62, The trees make it marginally less offensive. I think it was the Evening Post that said Something along the lines of "An insult to Maid Marion. One of the ugliest streets in modern Europe"

How much better Nottingham would have been if they had left the history in place in so many places in the city? 

• 1 month later...

Was looking at PTP recently.., some lovely quaint cottages and lanes pulled down to make way for Peoples College etc..

Did preservation orders not exist then??

When you think of a city like York- the shambles... these develop major tourism.

Many years ago, I was clerk to the Senior Partner of a firm in solicitors in Friar Lane. He was passionate about Nottingham and its history and told me that great effort had been made by various groups to save some of these buildings. He was particularly angry that the almshouses on Friar Lane were summarily demolished, I think at night, to avoid those who opposed it trying to prevent their destruction. You're right, it was criminal.

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

Was looking at PTP recently.., some lovely quaint cottages and lanes pulled down to make way for Peoples College etc..

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet ........  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/14629-nottingham-from-above-castle-gate/

Yes they are great shots Cliff...I always wondered what the building was on the top left hand side of Friar Lane...a cafe and Indian is on the opposite corner. The brickwork is not common to Nottm..windows were green for years.

Edit: I see in a earlier photo from Cliff- Granby St.roadworks.. Murphy Builders have a road sign up- displaying the actual plan intended?? haven't seen that before.

If it's the one I think you mean, it was the offices of solicitors Browne Jacobson & Roose for many years. I worked there in the late 70s. I was told it had once been a hosiery factory. It was a rabbit warren inside. The floors sloped, health & safety, especially the electrics, was very dicey and if you went to the loo, the door wouldn't open from the inside! Search parties rescued me many times!  :wacko:

Do you remember the radio presenter who said, Crocus St, The Meadows, doesn't it sound idyllic? Walnut Tree Lane was a bit like that. Don't forget that area, the streets between Grey Friar gate and Castle Rd were run-down and there was general dereliction since the war. Yes, Maid Marian Way has always been an eye-sore and a few trees don't make it any better, but it wasn't that quaint before.

I agree about the Almshouses though, an attractive building and still in remarkably good fettle when it was demolished.

That's triggered a memory. When I worked at BJ&R, one of the partners was a bull of a bloke who kept us all entertained. Once a week or so, he'd turn up in a foul mood and charge round the probate department, beetroot red in the face, firing anyone he encountered! An hour later, overcome with remorse, he'd apologise abjectly, go out and by those he'd fired an expensive present and beg their forgiveness. I tried to get transferred from the litigation department as it sounded like a lucrative number...to no avail.  On one occasion, he fired the chief cashier who, fed up with "bully's" antics, put on his coat, went home and refused to return for a week. He was in the process of doing the payroll when this maniac fired him, so we were all late getting paid. Didn't go down too well.

Didn't cure him though. I've met some real head cases in legal offices!   ;)