#79/80

Granby Chambers, yes. I'd forgotten the name. I didn't know BJ&R had been there so long! Is there any mention in street directories of its use further back. I always wondered if it was a hosiery factory as people said?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Maid Marian Way Before-and-After, with three reference points which have survived; the bandstand in the Castle; St Nicholas' church; the old Radio Trent building.

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historic

There's no doubt that someone was determined to ruin Nottingham and they certainly succeeded. Had they been prevented, we'd now have a city to rival York and Chester. Sheer vandalism!

Unfortunately I've not been able to visit Nottingham for some years but have vague memory of the "Sevens"(?) pub moving to this area from somewhere near Weekday Cross? Is that right?

1 hour ago, Smiffy49 said:

Unfortunately I've not been able to visit Nottingham for some years but have vague memory of the "Sevens"(?) pub moving to this area from somewhere near Weekday Cross? Is that right?

Severns is a 16th century building which used to be on Middle Pavement, near the top of Drury Hill. It was transplanted to a site near the castle and for a while housed a Lace Museum. That closed down several years ago, and I'm not sure if the building is currently used for anything.

And it looks stupid where it was relocated - it appears to have been dropped randomly by the roadside. 

https://goo.gl/maps/VKbANXsrVkE2

• Upvote 1

In the late 70s when I worked at BJ&R, Friar Lane was literally awash with solicitors. Perry Parr & Ford, Rotheras, Ashton Hill, Fraser Brown White & Pears, Leman & Leman...to name a few. Now, they all seem to have been swallowed up by the bigger practices. These were family firms which had been established since late Victorian times and the procedures we carried out there were equally antiquated, long before the days of computers. It's not so very long ago but the changes are enormous.

Ashton Hill is still there, name changed a couple of times, now Ashton Bond Gigg to reflect the 3 Senior Partners it has had in over 80 years. They have been in the same building (Pearl Assurance House at the bottom of Friar Lane) for half a century. They have got rid of the manual typewriters though!

I worked on the building on the corner of Maid Marion way and Friar Lane when it was being built in 1960. Back then it was called 'City House" . These days I think it is an hotel.

I worked for a company called "City Electrical" as an apprentice electrician.

I remember having a rope tied around my waist and being lowered from a window on the 10th floor to retrieve a cable. No such thing as OH&S back then.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

This particular road/street definitely displays it's date of construction, struggling in this area- twoing  and froing to school amongst barriers etc..

( don't recall plastic cones then). Re- bars set in a concrete (bucket) base and holding red/white lengths of timber.

The Wimpy Bar was lovely, Tesco was just down from Brentford Nylons,. ( fluff freeman?) .

Green Sheild Stamps has had a good mention before.

The rear to the ABC and Odeon were visible.

Was there a furniture/antique centre opposite GSS's?

Anyroad- I certainly recall drinking Brew X1 and Youngers Tartan in The Hearty Goodfellow.

It was a great locale for 'underage' drinking( Salutation*Royal Children.)

Ben Truman's making me quite ill  seems to ring a bell.

Later as a waged lout..,The Mint Bar and The Kashmir were a must.

Not forgetting the Maid Marion cafe which served as a fine venue for refreshment after  5 or 6 hours waiting to see Dr.Haworth up at the Eye Hospital.

Does anyone recall during construction a large hut/cafe that was erected in the late 60's?

St.Nicholas's church stands on Maid Marion Way and even though the present structure is not particularly old ...st.Nics is one of 3 medieval churches in the city still with us.

The original building was destroyed in the 1640's..civil war most likely.

I was told once on a trip "dahn Mortimer's ole" that the church tower was used as a vantage point to bombard the castle.

Marriage/death records go back to 1562...so lots for the budding heir hunter.

Cemetery is full since 1881.

St.Nicholas is the patron saint of mariners and was visited by seaman/sailors alike.

The large whalebone that hung for many years above the neighbouring pub,Royal Children- however was not from a matelot....but the fuel supplier whose whale oil lamps lit this hostelry.

On 31/10/2016 at 9:14 AM, Smiffy49 said:

On 31/10/2016 at 10:37 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Severns is a 16th century building which used to be on Middle Pavement, near the top of Drury Hill. It was transplanted to a site near the castle and for a while housed a Lace Museum. That closed down several years ago, and I'm not sure if the building is currently used for anything.

And it looks stupid where it was relocated - it appears to have been dropped randomly by the roadside. 

https://goo.gl/maps/VKbANXsrVkE2

I'm a bit confused here.

I was at People's College 60 - 62 and I well remember Seven's being across the road and up a bit from St Nicholas' church close to The Royal Children and the Salutation. Seven's was a restaurant then.

Some, not too long, time after that it was decided by the City Council Planning vandals that Seven's should be moved. I don't know if their long-term plan was to move the Trip and the Castle as well but Seven's was duly moved.

I didn't know about its move back to MMW but what a waste of, well, everything.

It was one night in 1965, in the restaurant in Severns on Middle Pavement, that Chulla slipped the engagement ring on the finger of the future Mrs Chulla.  Aaaah, get yer snot-rags out, wipe your eyes and blow your nose.

• Like 2

I don't know the date of the Seven's removal to Middle Pavement but that could easily fit in the timeline of my memory. It wasn't very long past my People's College days that the place was moved brick by brick.

As Willow Wilson has mentioned, Severns was never on MMW.  For the first 400 years of its life it was on Middle Pavement, and it was transplanted to Castle Road (which is certainly very close to MMW) in the late 60s, to make way for the Broad Marsh Centre development. 

4 hours ago, jonab said:

I'm a bit confused here.  I was at People's College 60 - 62 and I well remember Seven's being across the road and up a bit from St Nicholas' church close to The Royal Children and the Salutation. Seven's was a restaurant then.

The building you are thinking of must be something other than Severns. And back in 60 - 62 Maid Marian Way didn't really exist, only in a very minimal way.

Maid Marian Way I thought was a disaster.. footfall wise, seemed a feasible plan to get traffic from Collins St. etc..up to Derby Rd. wasn't a bad plan.

But the shopping idea was tacked on later. I mean,you got to the top of St.James's St. past The News house, to be greeted with those cream ( when new) railings....running from Chapel Bar to Friar Lane, no wonder Mount Street shopping arcade failed!

Save for the Midland General beauties... a waste of concrete.

I certainly recall doing a Jeremy Thorpe and vaulting those railings to get to the "upper" part of st.James's street.

I think it's found it's niche in Indian restaurants and those subways being filled in helped.

Nice, those bus shelters..I have cleaned many a time.

I signed up with Plum Personnel and Manpower Services...first job was cleaning those... Adshels, I think the name was- going round in an ex post office BMC ( the high one.) Washing them. Can't make out the livery on that rigid.

I concede I was wrong about Sevens. I remember the start of MMW, that certainly was at the time I was at People's College. I remember it was sometimes a real battle to try to pick my way through and among the various building works to get to Mount Street bus station to get home to Hucknall.

ON the subject of the Wimpy Bar on the corner, it's not nostalgic for me. I got thrown out for complaining that my meal (a Wimpy, those ghastly extruded chips - Tasty Fries was it? and whatever else) didn't resemble the picture on the illuminated poster outside. The burger I received was about the size of half a crown and there were only about half a dozen "chips".

The part of the building at the back of the Wimpy with the smaller windows was the MidlandsHQ of GPO Telephones before it became BT.

I don't quite remember the year, must have been mid 1960's