• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Maid Marian Way Before-and-After, with three reference points which have survived; the bandstand in the Castle; St Nicholas' church; the old Radio Trent building.

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historic

There's no doubt that someone was determined to ruin Nottingham and they certainly succeeded. Had they been prevented, we'd now have a city to rival York and Chester. Sheer vandalism!

Walton House was the main office for Nottingham Telephone Area, which covered most of Notts and Derbyshire.

You might notice in the picture that the Windows on the sixth floor have blinds. That's where the bosses had their offices, with posh furniture and their own dining room. The eleventh (or top) floor was where the canteen was.

BT moved from there to Castle Wharf in 1999, and vacated that building when the lease expired in 2014.

That wimpeys was the one my sister worked at in 73 she only did the Saturday. But it was handy for me, cos I got my food free and only paid for a coffee.

• 1 month later...

The coach is a Bedford VAL. Chinese 6. Obviously Bartons. Someone will know whose body it is. 

This pictures are interesting to me as I really cannot remember Nottingham at all before Maid Marion Way was built.

Plaxtons maybe ?

Hearty Good Fellow. My God, that was on a par with the Bench & Bar, Lord John and the Toll Bar ! I nearly abstained after visiting such establishments.

9 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Cheers Trogg!

Last one for today...what is the building above the roof of the Anglia?.the one with the clock.Is that coach a Bedford Leigonaire?Maid-_Marian-_Way-in-the-1960s.jpg 

I remember standing outside roughly what would become the Brentford Nylons shop, to the right of this shot, waiting for a bus with my mother. The multi-storey building to the left of the shot was under construction. I was quite a young child and was terrified that it was going to fall and crush us. I had never seen such a tall structure before. I recall vividly my relef when the bus came and we were able to get on and drive away from the danger. I have never forgotten it!

Started my stag night in The Hearty G F on the 29th August 1968 and if I remember correctly finished up eventually in Yates.

To tie in with the thread on Mansfield and Sutton, was wed at St Mary's in Sutton on the 31st, still suffering from the effects of the pub crawl 36 hours earlier! The Reception was held upstairs in The Denmans in Sutton and I did not imbibe any alcohol other than the glass of bubbly for the toasts.

• Like 1

This is a wider view of MMW under construction with the old Hearty Goodfellow (mock tudor building) just visible on the right on Mount Street.

cclVf48.jpg

The tower block on the left is currently the Park Plaza Hotel.

The curving road just visible on the lower left corner is Walnut Tree Lane. The pile of rubble in front of the church is the remains of demolished buildings.

xCAHoGA.jpg

In this photo, the central building with 3 vertical windows can also be seen on the previous photo.

Can just see the building which housed Browne Jacobson & Roose, corner of Friar Lane in Ian's photo, so can get my bearings. They didn't do the area any favours!

Recall my mother saying there was a bakers shop next to the Olde Salutation before the war. She worked in an office on Friar Lane and often nipped to this shop to buy cream cakes! There was just a paved area and a couple of trees on the site, as I recall it. It went the same way as her other favourite haunt...the Oriental Cafe.

15 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Can just see the building which housed Browne Jacobson & Roose, corner of Friar Lane in Ian's photo, so can get my bearings. They didn't do the area any favours!

Browne Jacobson and Rose. I knew them well. They were our company lawyers. I nearly went to work for them in 1962. They offered me articles to become a solicitor but the senior partner, Derek Grice, said I would have to start right at the bottom ‘making the tea and suchlike’. ‘No way am I going to be a tea boy’ I said so I didn’t take up the offer and became an accountant instead. At Hubbart Durose and Pain we had a man who made the tea amongst other things.

I worked for BJ&R as a legal clerk between 1976 and 1980 and remember Grice.

By the mid 20th century, articled clerks had life comparatively cushy! Originally, the clerk had to PAY the practice for the privilege of being trained! 

BJ&R was still pretty Dickensian in 1976, as were most legal firms. I think we had a tea lady!