Don't recall  Richard Brooke but do recall Richard Swann who, I believe dealt with bad debts. Bit of an eccentric.

Grice was a consultant by the time I worked there and Howard Jacobson had just become the same, leaving Thomas Norman Stanley Roose as senior partner. He checked the waste bins every night to establish how much paper had been thrown away! Will parchment, conveyancing paper, judicature paper, manor of Bulwell and brief! It all cost money!

Wills were produced on manual typewriters in those days and mistakes were not permitted. If you made one, you couldn't rub it out, you had to start again on a fresh piece of folded A2 parchment. If you had any sense, you'd fold the first piece up and stuff it in your handbag, take it home and burn it!

• Like 1
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Maid Marian Way Before-and-After, with three reference points which have survived; the bandstand in the Castle; St Nicholas' church; the old Radio Trent building.

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historic

There's no doubt that someone was determined to ruin Nottingham and they certainly succeeded. Had they been prevented, we'd now have a city to rival York and Chester. Sheer vandalism!

knew mr Pearce (on the left) think he retired early 80s, a mr Dilks or Wilks sorted out my last case,even caught the train with me and Donna,down to Peterborough 6/11/86,

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, Commo said:

The Reception was held upstairs in The Denmans in Sutton and I did not imbibe any alcohol other than the glass of bubbly for the toasts.

Here is the Denmans Head, I have had a few pints of Home Brewery 5 Star in there in the past, it is now a coffee house!

Sutton-in-Ashfield - Denmans Head

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historical importance, not only important to Nottingham but to a wider British history - the Trip to Jerusalem, for example.

Who knows what else may have been destroyed by this mindless destruction of a historical part of the city?

What was achieved, apart from the construction of a box-like abomination (People's College) and the Ugliest Street in Europe?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And yet as I've said before there were no voices raised against it. We look at York as an example of what Nottingham could be like but back in the 50's  in York there were 'anti-ugly' protests with the motto 'build for the future, not the past'. They wanted the old replaced with shiny new buildings and held Nottingham as a forward looking city!

I was seven when MMW was opened..but even then i thought it looked cold.

The majority of Nottinghams citizens bused it to work...probably had little or no bathroom..never stepped on a plane..and the concept of owning a property was alien.

But the guys with the fountain pen and slide rule..didn't endure the slum shame of many. They Knew!...that fine architecture and spacious houses were being levelled for ticky tacky boxes.

We were not as savvy as we are today..and i have seen my Dads wage slips from 1969..he'd be more interested in trying to make it stretch and feed four lads...than picketing outside The Black Boy.

Pity there wasn't more tree( building)

huggers back then.

• Like 2

About the only gesture to the past I can remember is the dismantling of Severns restaurant brick by brick and rebuilding it on Castle Road.

• 8 months later...

Sorry, me thinks it was Venue 51 not 53! Maybe related to the number of the property? Very small inside..had a mirrored back wall greeting you when walking through the door. This was in 1982.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...