Cliff Ton

Maid Marian Way

Maid-_Marian-_Way-underpass.jpgAmazing the Sal still stayed open.

Creating the underpass in the mid 60's.

• Like 2

67554.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgLooks all done here. Talking to a nice homeless chap when i was over last...some are billeted in that office block!

• Like 2

Replacing another deleted photo, view of what is the bottom of a now busier and more cluttered MMW.a7e1ae047bf622fd52d9376b5e4cd159--nottin

• Like 1

image_thumb_4.pngNew and the old together.Peoples College and ..as yet uncleared buildings.

• Like 1

This is taken from Amberley St..long gone now.Postern st is visible.1958.5a651e467f2a35ef385ebd6086255972.jpg

e053cc853aea8fa5bdc76fa24ba9bb75.jpgconstruction on what was dubbed as Europes ugliest street.

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historical importance, not only important to Nottingham but to a wider British history - the Trip to Jerusalem, for example.

Who knows what else may have been destroyed by this mindless destruction of a historical part of the city?

What was achieved, apart from the construction of a box-like abomination (People's College) and the Ugliest Street in Europe?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, jonab said:

What these pictures of MMW fail to do, unfortunately, is to give any idea of the proximity of the Castle. Non-Nottinghamians may not realise that only a few metres away are buildings of major historical importance, not only important to Nottingham but to a wider British history - the Trip to Jerusalem, for example.

Who knows what else may have been destroyed by this mindless destruction of a historical part of the city? 

What was achieved, apart from the construction of a box-like abomination (People's College) and the Ugliest Street in Europe?

Standard Hill is the one that annoys me. Can you imagine Lincoln, Chester or York doing that?

96870578ebd8630ec1a4e14b854c7d85.pngJonab, this is 1950...looking towards Jessamine Cottages- roughly where Severns is now?

The spire..that was captured in a photo i posted on Canal St...St.Patricks?

The 'other' side of Maid Marian Way.image_thumb_22.png1950, Castle Rd.image_thumb_16.pngCastle Rd..1950's before the bulldozer.

• Like 1

image_thumb_13.pnglate 1940's taken from where the Robin Hood statue is today.4ae7985205e017b7634e173a441a6b94.png1947, before Peoples College.

2c115a7404fd440a56f26ea7bab1b2fc.jpgA more familiar flipside to MMW.image_thumb_7.pngAn as yet unmolested scene..St.Nicholas's in the distance.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave..i was trying the other day to recall the Newsagents in the centre of the Underpass..Prestons.

Now , i wonder who ran the shops under Theatre Sq and Broad Marsh

subways.

Some time ago now, i posted an article about Peoples College buying a new bus many many years ago.PH-_MGO-1-1000x1000.jpgStill lingering when snapped here in 1965.

• Like 1

I can't believe that it is 50+ years since the monstrous Maid Marian Way was put in.

It was called the ugliest road in Europe and destroyed so much of the Midland Queen

Good spot for curryhouses though Oz...took nearly 30 years for it to come into it's own.