Its the 20th anniversary of the Internet.

I got into the internet and created my first web site 1n early 1994.

When I look back, the internet has had a drastic effect on changing the course of my life.

I could write a book on the subject.

How long have you been on the net and what effect has it had on your way of life.

More importantly how will it change your life in future?

I reckon the biggest effect of the internet is the way you can find out almost anything at any time. Take the subjects on this forum......there is instant access to Picture the Past and the Old Maps. Before the internet it would've involved a lot of time and effort to see that material; you had to go into the Library/Archives and dig around in indexes and files for hours. Now, if you want to see what Wheeler Gate looked like in the 1920s, it takes about 20 seconds.

And think of the information which everybody has learned from the questions and answers here - we're all much cleverer than we used to be!

The internet is also useful for anorak trivia. As an example, a few weeks ago I was talking with a friend and we somehow came to wondering about the transmission dates of the first series of Monty Python. A few clicks on a mouse will provide the answer (it's the end of 1969) but before the internet that would've been almost impossible to find out.

The advent of the internet has been a marvellous boon to all and sundry...

Has certainly become the prime source of visual and audio 'entertainment' for myself, in terms of serious and trivial use.

Rather like the Clive James definition of the 'net...

"It is equivalent to having all of the world's great libraries within your home"

Cheers

Robt P.

It's been a rich source of information to me. I have found the common problems with switching power supplies, corrected one in my monitor and will be doing the same with one of my radios.

Not having a library close at hand, it's been so useful in research over the last 15 or 16 years.

One of the most beneficial things we have experienced is the contacts we have made of Family all over the world, especially now with Skype. Also slowly seeing the demise of top priced stores like Dixons, Curries, Comet, P.C. World etc---now we can really see where the bargains are. In todays Mail they point out what a rip off H.D.M.I. cables can be , up to £100 !!! Experts say a £2 one does the same job . ( Always been my priciiple too about Cables ) ----Online Banking ( only need to go to the Bank if we get a Cheque ) And, come on, admit it !!!! All those " Naughty Sites "

As well as all of the things mentioned, for me personally it has meant that I am able to largely work from home. I can perform most tasks that I need to do during a working week from my own home office. That has to have quite a considerable effect generally on society when considering transportation and the likes of 'hot desking'. Just today the BBC has reported the selling off of many 'satellite' Notts Council office premises and how there are now 'seven desks for every ten workers' with employees being encouraged to work from home. Without wishing to comment on the wider issues of that, it would probably not be possible without the Internet. As an aside, it's maybe interesting to note too how these things travel full circle when we think of the former 'cottage industries' that Nottinghamshire in particular was famed for.

It's a pain in the 4r53 !! I can't get any normal work done as I can't get my ass off of here ! Be it moderating this site, reading all my aviation recourses/photographic advisories, watching live sport that I wouldn't normally have access to with out sattelite, playing games , reading Face book, need I go on .

SWMBO rues the day I bought the first one and got us online ! (Then again I can't get her off of it either )

Mind you I have saved a small fortune on things I didn't know I needed!! as well as new cooker , new fridge freezer, lap top etc

I am currently rediscovering the power of networking by social media, that was not in existance in 1994, to make business contacts around the world.

Its still very true that its "not what you know but who you know"

"Retirement? What the hell is that!

Me three

(But he may be refering to Jo Frost , seeing as she's a "Super Nanny")

• 7 years later...