If i rented a car

Anyone know If i rented a car in Notts do they have GPS sat/nav in the rentals & a good place to rent one a car that is.

I will be going in to T.Mobile to see if my phone can be changed so i could use it over there if not does anyone have any idea on a phone whilst in the Uk

I have had good luck with T-Mobile. If you have one of their phones, give them a call. They will tell you if it will work in the UK, and if so, they will send you an "unlock" code. Once that is done, you simply go to any T-Mobile store in the UK and buy a SIM card - I typically go for the 15 quid version and have not run out of time on it, but if you need more you can add 5 pound increments.

GPS in rental cars - not sure. I always rent from Heathrow, typically Hertz. I know Hertz offer GPS, but not sure about the others or the cost. I have a Garmin Nuvi and a UK map card for it that works exceptionally well in the UK. Now you can actually purchase and download the maps directly to the Garmin online, but you will need a cheap memory card.

One thing to be aware of - petty theft in England is pretty common, so DO NOT leave a GPS or cell phone in view when you leave the car - also be careful about the "ring" the mounting cup leaves on the windshield. For this reason, a permanently installed GPS in a rental car may NOT be a good idea as it advertises "Tourist" and the possibility of cameras, etc. somewhere in the car.

OY Eric , don't panic the poor fellow, that last bit of advice may be appropriate in St Annes at the moment but certainly not in Carlton (Same as it may be appropriate in Brixton but not in .................. er , OK lets not go there !!)

The one thing I always forget to remove from view is the Sat Nav holder in the windscreen , but even if you remove it , as you say, it leaves a tell tale ring on the glass , so I find it less obtrusive to leave it in place and people don't notice it !! (I also leave the Sat Nav, lap top , two cameras and lens's and various other bits of paraphernalia in the car when I'm at my mums and never feel like I have to worry. (Mind you , it is heavily insured and I do need new ones .....LOL)

Nah, not trying to alarm anybody, but I do find that most people who are victims of petty theft have invited the crime by advertising what there is to steal! The same is very true in dodgy areas over here, and other parts of the world. Just use some common sense and most of the time you will be O.K.

Remember that getting damage to a rental car can be a costly and time-consuming issue to get sorted!

Having worked for Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Police for 36 years I am aware of crime and where it occurs.

I have no sympathy for people that leave stuff in their cars and then complain of theft and damage to their vehicles, and why the police are doing nothing about it.

Car Crime is Rife EVERYWHERE. Do not think that because you live in a nice road, you wont be a victim of crime. Criminals steal cars and travel to such areas.

Particularly GPS, if you leave it on display in your car its only a matter of time before someone puts your window in.

And as Eric says, its hassle if its a rental car. You may find that unless you have taken out extra insurance any damage to tires or glass is at the renters expence!

That's tyres you've been going to Yanky land too much!

My car has blacked out rear windows all round, and the stuff is left hidden in the boot (Notice boot not trunk ) if any body were to break in to get at it then they would have done any way , if that makes sense, ie I make sure no one is around when I open it and if some one targets my car it would just be unfortunate, but would have happened regardless of whether there were anything of value in there or not.

Where I am a bit concerened is on Friday, when on our way to Cornwall we're overnighting in a Premier Inn, leaving most of the luggage in the car whilst we stop over in South Wales, including all my fishing tackle in the (Lockable) roof box !

I certainly know that Hotel Car Parks around here have been hit hard from time to time.

Doing ten or more cars at a time. You can do more than hide the stuff if you cant

remove it, but many people leave it on display. One tires of people wingeing

when they get their drivers door window stoved in and GPS snatched from

the screen.

Actually my wife just booked her ticket just in time for all the riots leaves here in 2 weeks

You mean you have to lock your car havnt done that in about 35 yrs lol

My phone is a 4g & i just got back from T-Mobile & said all i have to do is get the unlock code but they send it to you in a email not in the store

The GPS will work on the phone over in the UK ,Also she can plug the phone into any computer & have internet access forgot to ask them if it costs more

Anyway she is all set & when she is gone i will try out my new TIRES on the motorhome, GAS is dropping in price so fast i saw $3.49 this morning.

Make sure you dont get banged with high charges for using your US phone account here.

What model phone is it?

HTC MyTouch 4G ,I have to go in to have the Gingerbread upgrade loaded so i will be asking a bunch of questions

HTC MyTouch 4G ,I have to go in to have the Gingerbread upgrade loaded so i will be asking a bunch of questions

ARE YOU COMMING TO NOTTINGHAM DGBRIT IF SO COME DOWN THE HART ON A THURSDAY. YOU WILL POSIBLY SEE QUITE A FEW PEOPLE YOU KNOW. STARKY ECT.ANY TIME AFTER 7 O CLOCK

LET US KNOW IN ADVANCE OF YOU COMMING AND WELL SEE WHO ELSE WE CAN GET THERE.TAPPITT CAME DOWN THE WEEK BEFORE ROCKERS REUNION . AND WE ORGANIZED A SMALL REUNION WHEN PETE BUTLER CAME FROM FLORIDA LAST YEAR SEE PHOTOES ON ROCKERS REUNIONS.

One alternative would be to buy a Device, around £ 70/ £80 for some models. Whilst on to the topic of car rentals, please be aware of the damage deposit usually required and inspect the vehice thoroughly. I nearly got stung once , when I returned the Car they said there was a chip on the Windscreen and my deposit £ 50 was kept I argued that surely I had no control over this , but they still insisted. However after a couple of weeks and this event still bugging me, I suddenly remember that after the Man and I had inspected the vehicle, I remember he said O.K. sir, go into the office and I will bring the Car around to where you can pick it up. Right , from seeing many C.S.I programmes I remembered "Contaminated Evidence " ? .Well someone had driven the Car after my inspection so they couldn`t prove conclusively that that I was responsible . I sent an email to the effect that if I didn`t recieve a refund I would take the case to the Small Claims Court ****** Within the hour I got an apologetic call from the Rental people and was informed £ 50 had been transferred back into my account. Could we do a " Straw Poll " and see how many of you have heard of these deposits being withheld as I think this is an endemic scam in the Industry.

Ok change of plan Teresa will taking not a phone but a Galaxy tablet so we can do internet calling

Anyone have any idea how much car rental is ?

& where to rent one

ARE YOU COMMING TO NOTTINGHAM DGBRIT IF SO COME DOWN THE HART ON A THURSDAY. YOU WILL POSIBLY SEE QUITE A FEW PEOPLE YOU KNOW. STARKY ECT.ANY TIME AFTER 7 O CLOCK

LET US KNOW IN ADVANCE OF YOU COMMING AND WELL SEE WHO ELSE WE CAN GET THERE.TAPPITT CAME DOWN THE WEEK BEFORE ROCKERS REUNION . AND WE ORGANIZED A SMALL REUNION WHEN PETE BUTLER CAME FROM FLORIDA LAST YEAR SEE PHOTOES ON ROCKERS REUNIONS.

I wont be but Teresa is & might rent a car so she will be able to get around if she gets the left hand side thing down & feels comfortable with driving

Over the years I have experimented with various car rental agencies, but I always go back to Hertz. Typically rent from Heathrow. Check prices on the internet - but make sure you are getting the COMPLETE price - for example, National "may" only give you the "bring it back empty" option - which means they charge you for a tank of petrol even if you don't use it. The ONLY way to come out ahead on that deal is for the car to run out of fuel as you pull into their lot when you return the car!

Get a discount rate - if you are an AARP member, use that one. Most airline miles cards, clubs etc. have a Hertz discount rate.

Rent a diesel - and get MUCH better fuel mileage, even if the fuel is a bit more expensive.

As I said, I have shopped around a lot but in the end Hertz with a discount rate has been within a few quid of the cheap places - and I think the few extra are worth it given that they are on-site, have offices all over the place, and their cars are relatively new and well maintained. Yes, I can tell horror stories!