Non Soul & Motown Played at The Dungeon.

Whilst the music played at The Dungeon on Stanford St was mainly of the aforementioned variety, there were also many tracks that were not.

Just thought I would try and compile a list to bring back memories, if you went there too, please feel free to add to it.

Mamas & Papas Monday Monday, and I saw her again

Manfred Mann Pretty Flamingo.

Georgie Fame Getaway.

Small Faces Hey Girl, All or nothing.

The Action Baby you got it, I'll keep on holding on.

Beatles Theres a place.

Jimmy Cliff Give & Take

Prince Buster Al Capone and 10 Commandments

Chris Farlowe Out of time.

Alan Bown Set Headline news

More when I remember them!

Whilst the music played at The Dungeon on Stanford St was mainly of the aforementioned variety, there were also many tracks that were not.

Just thought I would try and compile a list to bring back memories, if you went there too, please feel free to add to it.

Mamas & Papas Monday Monday, and I saw her again

Manfred Mann Pretty Flamingo.

Georgie Fame Getaway.

Small Faces Hey Girl, All or nothing.

The Action Baby you got it, I'll keep on holding on.

Beatles Theres a place.

Jimmy Cliff Give & Take

Prince Buster Al Capone and 10 Commandments

Chris Farlowe Out of time.

Alan Bown Set Headline news

More when I remember them!

Sunny-Georgie Fame & Bobby Hebb

Boogaloo Party, (I know it's soul, but remember Stringfellow using it as his theme tune? Or one of them)

Mockingbird & Walk that Tightrope- Inez & Charlie Foxx, appeared live in 1965/66? Introduced as R&B not soul

Peter, Paul and Mary ...........Leaving on a Jet Plane .

Esther and Abbi Ofarim.........Cinderella Rockerfella

New Vaudeville Band..............Winchester Cathederal

Just a couple i could think of ........................................................slywink

Peter, Paul and Mary ...........Leaving on a Jet Plane .

Esther and Abbi Ofarim.........Cinderella Rockerfella

New Vaudeville Band..............Winchester Cathederal

Just a couple i could think of ........................................................slywink

I know I could't have been there every night it was open, but I never heard ANY of those there! Apart from that, surely by the time Esther and Abi's song was released, The Dungeon had ceased to be The Dungeon, and was.......Eight till late? And according to Wiki "Jet Plane" was released late 69, mind you the site is not 100% accurate! Correct me if I'm wrong though!

And Paulus out of those songs you mention, only Georgie's song was really the only non soul track, and at that it was a re make of a soul song.! :)

Just remembered why I stopped going there! what about the real mod bands The Who, Small Faces, even Quo! to say nothing of live rock gigs there, once saw The Jaybirds there plus of course Jimi

I knew Jimi had performed in Nottingham, didn't think it was at The Dungeon though? Beachcomber I recall. Just checked, it was, and he was supported by Jimmy Cliff who was also popular in Nottingham due to his King Of Kings song, and as of yet unreleased Give And Take.

Anyway, you just reminded me Ash, songs by The Who were often played there, as were The Small Faces, but The Quo?

Craig, you're spot on with comments re' my selection being soul, it's just my nostalgic memories taking over................Re' your later comment on Jimmy Cliff, he definitely appeared at the Dungeon, & sang give a little etc........his act was exactly same (if my memory serves) as the youtube 'Jimmy Cliff 1967, give a little', I remember both Mondo Kane & myself (although mine not a patch on the great Mondo) copied the 'slide with one leg lifeted' for some time afterwards !bravo!

• 2 years later...

Just remembered Over Under Sideways Down, by The Yardbirds was played, and that was borderline psychedilia!

Night Of Fear by The Move

Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys

Plus quite a bit of Ska, which we all called Blue beat back then, although that was the name of the label that a lot of them were released on.

More as I recall them......

Craig..........Remember well the Bluebeat reference to Ska, I recall you could buy thin brimmed 'bluebeat hats' , from Jeffs, many of us did..........

Yep,

Prince Buster 007, Al Capone

Millie My Boy Lollipop

Unit 4+2 Concrete and Clay

Lou Christie Lightening Strikes

I could go on but fingers are tired

Yep,

Prince Buster 007, Al Capone

Millie My Boy Lollipop

Unit 4+2 Concrete and Clay

Lou Christie Lightening Strikes

I could go on but fingers are tired

Far be it from me to be pedantic, but 007 was Desmond Dekker! :)

I never head Concrete And Clay anytime I went there too......

I am no pendant and struggle with memory etc. etc. BUT

I am fairly sure Prince Buster made 007 and this was a version played in The Dungeon I guess it must have been a cover version.

I was there too and heard and danced to Concrete and Clay it was a particular favourite of one of my mates.........

Does it matter?

I've never heard it before but Prince Buster did record 007 . I remember seeing The Yardbirds live at tbe Dungeon and they were really fantastic , such a tight sound .

I am no pendant and struggle with memory etc. etc. BUT

I am fairly sure Prince Buster made 007 and this was a version played in The Dungeon I guess it must have been a cover version.

I was there too and heard and danced to Concrete and Clay it was a particular favourite of one of my mates.........

Does it matter?

Just trying to keep it accurate, that's all....... :)

Anyone remember the night, Sunday I recall, that Mick Parker booked a band called This End?

He did a poster saying something like,' Not so much a band, more a happening'

They were psychedelic and Mick got some oil filled swirly lights, I assume just for this gig.

They were boo'ed off stage

Even top DJ's can lern sumtink ere' :)

I must admit, I think I must have bought all of Prince Busters LPs, and was a bid fan of Desmond Decker since he started. I had never heard PB's version of 007?

However that track did remind me of this one, which I would be surprised if it had not been played at the Dungeon?

Strange - I was creating a podcast of music I heard when I first went to the Dungeon, then I saw this thread & another about the old club. Some of the songs mentioned were already on there. (Although I haven't put Prince Buster on - for a later podcast & Rex Garvin reminds me more of the Beachcomber).

Anyway I've finished the podcast & uploaded it now. Here's the link:

http://www.mixcloud.com/mauricegmoore/dungeon-days/

• Upvote 2

To hear the Rex Garvin track has brought many memories flooding back.

It reminds me of the Beachcomber and the Nightowl in Leicester.

Must have been spun in the Dungeon and the boat clubs - well the Brit anyway.