Trouble in Nottingham tonight

Had to drop by briefly in town tonight. There were a quite a few groups of youths on Mansfield Road being corralled by the police. There was a very big police presence in that area with many officers on foot and squad cars greatly in evidence.

Various confirmed reports tonight include the fire bombing of Canning Road police station by a group of around thirty youths and an incident where ten youths were arrested after climbing on the roof of one of the High Schools. Unconfirmed is the burning out of a car in Arboretum area.

Have to say I was glad to leave the city this evening.

My wife just booked her ticket & the DooDoo hits the fan.

She will be quite safe as long as she stays in St Anns Dave.

The St Anns villains are all out looting.

Got caught up in it all last nite, had to go to a meeting in the Basford area and my friends car was tourched , the police wouldnt let us move till the fire was put out i passed one side street on the way home and i saw some youths messing around so avoided that but i could smell smoke all nite a college on Sherwood Rise not fat from me had been set alight My Daughter was at a friends house in St Anns last night she had to stay over as it wasnt safe for her to come home

Slight thread drift I know.

During the 1958 riots in St Anns Pc Reilly directed the fire brigade to use their hoses to break up the crowds. The Home Office banned this.

I once heard from a former officer (now dead) that the force secretly acquired colonial riot equipment "just in case". Any Nottscops who can confirm the story?

Got caught up in it all last nite,

Sorry to hear that. That fire was reported in the media. The college was Clarendon College which apparently sustained some significant damage before fire crews could extinguish it.

Sort of ironic that the fire was at such a highly regarded seat of education...

Something that the rioting pond-life has clearly gone without.

Excellent article today by Max Hastings, summarising the attitude of the young rioters...well worth a read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2024284/UK-riots-2011-Liberal-dogma-spawned-generation-brutalised-youths.html

"...They respond only to instinctive animal impulses — to eat and drink, have sex, seize or destroy the accessible property of others. Their behaviour on the streets resembled that of the polar bear which attacked a Norwegian tourist camp last week. They were doing what came naturally and, unlike the bear, no one even shot them for it..."

My concern is that any 'stepping up' of police actions will be thwarted by the PC & left wing brigades...

Cheers

Robt P.

My concern is that any 'stepping up' of police actions will be thwarted by the PC & left wing brigades...

I think the police stepped up pretty well last night Rob with an appropriate response.

I witnessed at first hand some of the rioting in Nottingham last night. Although I believe the local police force have several shortcomings, I have to say they did a fine job last night. The city centre was flooded with officers, both on foot and mounted, and police dogs, protecting main shopping areas and other flashpoints. Officers repeatedly charged gangs of youths to disperse them and generally chased them all over the place. They worked diligently and hard and were a credit to themselves.

A couple of other observations were that there appeared to be a lot of youngsters making their way to the city for a 'lark' and to either join in or witness the proceedings, exacerbating the problems. I think some parents have to look to themselves and ask themselves where their kids were last night.

I think some parents have to look to themselves and ask themselves where their kids were last night.

Totally agree with you, but the problem is that some parents don't seem to do that, whether it was last night or any other night in "normal" times. For some, the best way to bring up kids seems to be Out of Sight Out of Mind. I reckon quite a bit of minor/petty crime in general would be prevented if they kept track of their brats

One thing I noticed last night, Cliff, when driving away from town, was the various little huddles of quite young teenagers walking towards the city centre from the likes of Sherwood. Obviously on the way to witness the 'excitement' in town. That would have been at around 10.30pm or so. I note also that one of the arrests from the previous night was a boy of sixteen, out in the early hours of the morning. I agree with what you say about parenting, the lack of it, and the link with crime.

Totally agree with you, but the problem is that some parents don't seem to do that, whether it was last night or any other night in "normal" times. For some, the best way to bring up kids seems to be Out of Sight Out of Mind. I reckon quite a bit of minor/petty crime in general would be prevented if they kept track of their brats

so true.

The city centre is closing down. City wardens and PCSOs absolutely everywhere providing eyeballs on the ground and lots of shop owners glancing nervously up and down the street in case trouble is on its way.

Apparently Nottingham police have asked for mutual aid reinforcements.

Can't we set-up a Nottstalgia Vigilante Squad?

Saw it on the telly last night,including Nottingham.Does anyone think,? if they want to commit acts of violence and destruction , put them in khaki,ship e'm over to Afganistan, or are they to cowardly.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the kids causing trouble are too young to go into the armed forces! Some good reporting here this morning - including parents advocating for more parental control, and turning in neighbors kids. I also understand an e-poll overwhelmingly supported stopping financial support to anybody identifiable as having taken part!

In retrospect, this might just be the kick-in-the-arse that the govt. needed to actually DO something to regain the trust of the British people. An interesting interview was of a Muslim man whose son was run over and killed - he was surrounded by his neighbors of all colors and faiths asking why this is happening.

An interesting interview was of a Muslim man whose son was run over and killed - he was surrounded by his neighbors of all colors and faiths asking why this is happening.

Good post Eric.

Dignity and decency.

My link