If one could take the D.N.A. from Gum Spat out on our streets would we trace back to 99% of the perpetrtaters of the recent acts of ,as the mamby pampies would term " Anti Social Behavior " My generation were brought up by a much different set of standards. We would never dream of Spitting on the streets , not respecting others property, public property and facilities If we hesitated at all we would think of our parents and the shame it would bring to them, and these are the family values that have eroded over two or three generations. There were five of us, we were brought up in a typical " Working Class " envirenment and I trust we all made it to adulthood with standards which are still here with citizens that care . Norman Tebbit M.P. once advised the unemployed " Get on your Bike " This quote could be interpreted to just mean " For goodness sake , do something to improve yourself and your life " .

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=gum+on+pavements&hl=en&biw=1020&bih=636&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=epcTm_tSoXkyJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Dundee/article/3262/alternative-uses-for-gum-clean-up-cash-in-dundee.html&docid=oqVnOhQWFvbGfM&w=592&h=296&ei=UpRDTq6IOMzAswbLy7izBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=332&vpy=201&dur=2802&hovh=159&hovw=318&tx=111&ty=101&page=3&tbnh=102&tbnw=204&start=25&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:25

Tebbit did not actually tell the unemployed to get on their bikes, merely mentioned when his father was unemployed in the 1930's he went looking for work on his bike locally till he found another job, as opposed to most peoples belief that he was saying move to where work is,

I seem to remember a sign on the bus that said NO SPITTING, It would think a lot of people must have been doing it to warrant a sign

Lifted from Wikipedia

'In the aftermath of urban riots (Handsworth riots and the Brixton riot) in the summer of 1981, Tebbit responded to a suggestion by a Young Conservative (Iain Picton) that rioting was the natural reaction to unemployment: "I grew up in the '30s with an unemployed father. He didn't riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he kept looking 'til he found it."

This exchange was the origin of the attribution to Tebbit of the slogan On yer bike!. Tebbit is often misquoted as saying directly to the unemployed "get on your bike and look for work" as a consequence of his speech, although this interpretation is arguably what he was implying.'

To get DNA and process it through the DNA database costs around £450 for each sample. OK if you can recover the cost from the person upon their identification.

But you will be bringing out the civil liberties crowd!

No disrespect here Mick , and I know you're quoting from experience.

But that is why we're in the predicaments that we find our selves in!

450 quid for someone to look at a lump of snot through a microscope and say yup it could be him, or, no it's not him, is a bit of a pi55 take where I come from!! (after all that's all it really can do!) I know it's a bit more convoluted than that, but does each sample take a week or an hour?? . I don't know many folks who are on 450 a week , let alone an hour !!!

Nice to be recognised for experience and not just because because one has a sustificut :)

Most recently deposited chewing gum would give a profile, older would take more work and more of a convoluted process.

Profiles are placed on a computer database and are not (tho they could be) compared with a suspect sample.

Now heres the rub. DNA Is not cost effective to detect such a minor offence.

Why is it so expensive. DNA is a copyrighted process.

Tebbit did not actually tell the unemployed to get on their bikes, merely mentioned when his father was unemployed in the 1930's he went looking for work on his bike locally till he found another job, as opposed to most peoples belief that he was saying move to where work is,

Quoted or misquoted the message is there !!! don`t you agree

To get DNA and process it through the DNA database costs around £450 for each sample. OK if you can recover the cost from the person upon their identification.

But you will be bringing out the civil liberties crowd!

You don`t think i was suggesting anything of the sort , my point was anyone who could spit out gum could potentialy spit out " VENOM "

• 5 years later...

Don't chew gum much these days,liked Beech Nut and PK from the vending machines..every odd one you got extra?

Anglo Bubbly was nice ,and the waxed order form for xray specs in Bazooka Joe wrappers.

As regards spitting it out on the pavement... dreadful- i noticed Clumber St.was wrecked with the stuff.

But gum spitters are like smokers...they toss a fag butt or flick ash everywhere and don't consider stamping out a ciggie as litter.

Always notice when I come back to the UK and especially in Nottm market square and surrounds the horrible mess made by spitting out used gum. My BIL even told me they have a special machine to try and remove it and the actual paving was chosen to try and repel it sticking ?

I personally hate the stuff anyway, and cannot abide watching someone slapping their chops together as they chew it. Especially some of our so called higher profile entertainers when doing interviews.

Another lack of good manners in the emerging society we live in.

Make it illegal like Singapore, with massive fines, no crap all over the pavements there.

• Upvote 3

Likewise banjo. I hate chewing gum, and hate seeing people chewing it in the street. Especially women. So unladylike. 

I hate the mess made by chewing gum.  At one school I worked in I was given the new science lab as my room.  It was wonderful.  By the door, on a ledge, I put a plastic box with a notice saying that all chewing gum should be placed in the box and collected at the end of the lesson.  There was a reminder to check that the right piece was collected.  It caused a lot of laughs, some cringes and really made the point.  There was no gum under the tables or on the floor in my room!