Looking through various posts on the forum I find a number of mentions of Wrigleys wagon works at Bulwell Forest station, a book I have been looking at gives the firms name as William Rigley & Sons Ltd. The works were started in 1896 and closed at the end of 1964. The steel framework of the main building was moved to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley. There was a branch works at the side of the GCR at Bulwell Common station which appeared to date from 1919.

I don't know if they had any more works elsewhere.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Thank you for your comments. I have one more question could anyone tell me if there were any trains lay on for the rail way employees to assist there travel to and from Nottingham to derby in 1960s.? I would appreciate it if you could help me please

Thank you

Johno

Only the Dido (day in day out) workmans trains from Annesley to Bulwell Common and return as far as I know.

Hi,

Thank you for the comment It was very helpful i have one more question is there anyway that you know of to find out employe records for wriggles wagon works and annsley wagon works from the the 1960s onwards as trying to trace a family memeber?

Thanks

Johno

I have a few copies of the Nottingham Hand book from over the years (50s and 60s) where all Nottingham business are at best given an airing and at least get a good advert. Rigley's usually had good mention but nothing was said about other premises.

I have a few copies of the Nottingham Hand book from over the years (50s and 60s) where all Nottingham business are at best given an airing and at least get a good advert. Rigley's usually had good mention but nothing was said about other premises.

Hi i would be grateful to obtain a copy of the handbooks that you mention in your response please could you let me know how i could purchase such copies thank you for your help in this matter johno

I don't know where they can be purchased, but do know there are copies in the local studies section of the central library on Angel Row in Nottingham. I have mine because my late grand father was a member of Nottingham City Council during the 1950s and 1960s and all Councillers and Aldermen had them. I have loads of stuff from when he was carrying out his civic duties.

• 1 year later...

I had a few friends and relatives work at 'Rigleys' in the 50s/60s...............Harry Shipley,Bill Jackson,John Jackson,Michael Ham,Harold Langsdale,Nev Olpin,all seemed to enjoy their work there,i remember playing football and cricket on an adjacent field where they served beer straight from the Barrel in a little wooden hut that was classed as the Rigleys club.

• 4 years later...

I found this photo in the book "Blowing off Steam" by Jack Bracken. Jack was a former fireman based on the Midland line at Mansfield loco. I can receommend the book if you can find a copy - it's full of great anecdotal stories  of his exploits between 1941-1954, when he left the railway to start his own business. I wonder if there are any more photos of scrappings in action at Rigley's? 

Class Code O2/1
Designer Gresley
Designation 2-8-0
Built 30/06/1921
Builder North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow
1948 Shed 40E Langwith Junction
Last Shed 36E Retford (GC)
Withdrawn 08/09/1963
Disposal details Rigleys, Bulwell Forest.
Disposal Cut Up
Disposal Date

28/02/1964

Bulwell-Forest.jpg

• Like 1

Locos Scrapped at Rigleys, Bulwell Forest. - Total 26

[Source: Railuk.info]

• 5 months later...
On 8/13/2011 at 6:32 PM, BulwellBrian said:

Looking through various posts on the forum I find a number of mentions of Wrigleys wagon works at Bulwell Forest station, a book I have been looking at gives the firms name as William Rigley & Sons Ltd. The works were started in 1896 and closed at the end of 1964. The steel framework of the main building was moved to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley. There was a branch works at the side of the GCR at Bulwell Common station which appeared to date from 1919.

I don't know if they had any more works elsewhere.

I visited a working site one dark night with my parents & their friends as a teenager alongside the old GNR about where the Top Valley Estate  is now. Perhaps it was close to the site of Bulwell Forest station although long closed by then as the line had no passenger traffic as I remember. Quite why we visited I do not know but presumably to see someone whom my parents or their friends knew.  I remember that crossing the railway line we were not too far ahead of a quiet WD 2-8-0 passing northwards on a goods train.  I have always assumed it was spelt with an "R". draycott john