Thanks Bro

There seemed to be no junction where the sign is?

I am at the Nottingham Chamber of Commerce NG2, in the tomorrow.

I will sit on the other side of the train.

Yes, it leads to the Trowell link...

And straight onward, after the junction for Trowell, to Mansfield and Worksop...

Viz: Robin Hood Line.

Cheers

Robt P.

No...and very rarely so in earlier days, if ever...

That opposite spur, from the west, is Lenton South Junction - which was the scene of of a major accident some 25/30? years ago when a Nottingham bound (ex Liverpool) parcels train collided head on with a coal train heading off the Mansfield route...involving footplate crew fatalities.

Incident discussed and illustrated in an earlier thread...

Cheers

Robt P.

Mansfield and Lenton South Junction and line were added to the Derby to Nottingham line in 1848, the latter being opened in 1839, as the name suggests it did indeed lead to Mansfield with stations at Lenton, Radford, Old Basford (Vernon), Bulwell (Market), Hucknall etc, The Trowell Loop just after Radford Station was added in 1875 and some MR later LMS later still BR expresses calling at Nottingham used that to get to the north inc the at times doubled headed 11 coach St Pancras to Edinburgh known pre ww2 as "The Thames-Forth Express"

Judging from the photos below I imagine the junctions saw a fair amount of traffic? either that or The MR over estimated/engineered them! Photos are - Top,looking west, 4 lines to Derby, 3 to right to Mansfield, middle, Looking East, bottom, the joining of the lines up the Mansfield route looking towards Lenton

mfjunc.jpg

The Line to the left in the 1st photo was to Clifton Colliery. The Middle Photo is BR time with an LMS Compound, the other two look like Midland Railway signals hence much older.

There was a daily passenger train from Mansfield to Chilwell Depot that ran for many years, it was not in the public timetable, Mansfield shed had a class 2 2-6-0 specially for this working, I am not sure if it came this way or ran via Pinxton. There was a platform at the depot specially for this train.

My trip on the train turned into a car journey this morning.

Attended the station to find that there was no traffic through Nottingham due

to a major signal system failure.

• 8 years later...

Just had a ‘mental blip’ whilst practising on a newly acquired IPad, my Grandson set it up and included the NS icon, so clicking on I scrolled down to ‘Pete’s Transport Forum’. For some reason it opened at page 8 and the bottom topic was headed “Mansfield Junction”, dated August 2011. 12 replies included 3 Photos from “Ashley”, one showing a Midland Compound with a nice background. So I decided to go to my computer and print off this photo only to find it was “No longer available”, back to the IPad which  now confirms the computer “n l a” post. If I had seen this topic back in 2011 I would certainly have added to it but have no recollection of it so did  the ‘IPad dream it or did I?
PS Please don’t tell me it’s an age thing!
PPS My post would have said that Mansfield Junc. was the exit point for all loco’s leaving Nottm, MP Depot.