Here's a look at Deabill st. from the corner of Hodgkinson street. October 1974. How time flies.

scan0055.jpg

Just saw that Mick seems to want me to reply for this...

That patch of wasteland next to the house on the left is now a concrete play area, nothing but abit of concrete and some metal railings. The newish looking house on the corner to the left is now painted white.. Also, the lamp post on the left what covers what is between the houses either side of it, i was told this was a park.. its now 'Deabil court' a little row of fancy apartments, very smart inside! Also the gravly looking bit with the tree on the right has gone, its now slabs... Gosh, deabil & hodgkinson street looked alot smarter than they used to! Infact, ill get a picture of deabil, godfry, normal & hodgkinson for you over the weekend for those who remember what it looked like but havent visited these parts in a while

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting at the top.On the corner, a policeman lived with his daughter, all I remember is ,thay had pet mice, that they would ride in a train set..on the right hand side, a Terrace, a family called Ki

Deabill Street.odd number side- Sue Furr/David Furr. Dave Woods. Stephen Slattery. Elaine Smith/Keith Smith/ cant remember anymore. Down a side Road, Arthur & Robert ?. I know Arthur had a B

Also, just wondering.. the night club that once was Carolines.. What is it now? Offices, Apartments? iv seen lights on & red/pink blinds, but all the windows downstairs are boarded.. & im pretty intregued as to what it is now

Thanks Pixie. I'd love to see it as it is now. I know it's on Google earth but personal photos are better. My grandmother and an aunt lived next door to each other at the newer houses on Godfrey street. I think it was 65a. Used to play over there all the time.

Is 65 opposite norman street? Ifso... It looks as though it's been two houses nocked together & it's now up for sale. & jimmy, Caroline club is now used for something, there's often lights on upstairs. Would love to see it inside, downstairs all the windows are covered. When I was a child, I used to call it ' the haunted old pub ' because of how creepy it looked haha!

Hi Pixie

Yes, 63a and 65a were almost opposite Norman Street. I think they were built just pre. WW2. There are another couple of houses just like them further up Godfrey street, must have been a bit of open land there. Possible somebody could have knocked them into one house it would certainly have made them a lot roomier. They did have an inside bathroom, though you had to go outside and past the coalhouse to use the commode. Go figure!!! Don't know why they were designed that way.

Also, just wondering.. the night club that once was Carolines..

This is early 1980s. I didn't know the area then, but the scene has changed quite a bit since those days.

caro.jpg

And look at the row of houses off to the right of the photo......I'll be back soon with some better pictures of that terrace

• Upvote 1

Hi Cliff Ton, lovely photograph bringing back memories of me standing on such gates as these that were placed at the bottom of Bells Lane. It always gave me a thrill as a child because I knew it wouldn't be long before the train was passing on its way up to Cinderhill Colliery.

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the massive railway complex which was opposite the end of Deabill Street. This photo is just the engine sheds; there was also a marshalling yard off to the right covering all of what is now the retail park.

http://www.pictureth...000013&prevUrl=

And if you can't place this picture, the row of terraces in the earlier picture are just coming in to the left of this one. Extend this a bit further, and Caroline's would be the next thing in view

Wow, Amazing pics Cliff, trying to work out where say the loop road that runs by lidl would be now in the pic of the Sidings.. things really do change! The sidings were bombed in the war wernt they? Was being told by a friends father & how deabil, godfry, hodgkinson were all built to house the people who worked at the sidings, as well as the estate that once stood next to caraline club & where lidle & the carpet shop is now. I really cant imagine how it used to look back then, but it amazes me! The house next to the rain line & caralines is so much different now, looks nothing like in the pic, it looks like a beautiful house & well kept. Any more pics - Get em posted. Waiting for the other half to return from his adventures to the shops today so i can go out for a walk & take some pics to upload tonight... see the effort i go through for you guys & Girls? :P

Cliff I do remember those gates there too till fairly late like you say?

Always wondered why they were left there when it was overgrown,

I wonder when the last train passed through them?

I worked from Great Northern Way during the late 80s and there always seemed to be a train passing (Mind you I was very rarely in 'The yard' ) usually out on the road driving for my living

6863470563_9c6db4198f_b.jpg

You could always nip down and pinch a cutting of the Budliah for your garden Pixie

Oooh i might just do that when they flower, i havent noticed any recently on there.. How would i grow it from a cutting? .. You really dont NEED to buy flowers or plants do you, just nab a couple on a walk to the shop & grow them from that.. & theres me buying loads of seeds and bulbs yesterday haha!

Dunno how to take a cutting per say , but when them things have flowered and are just at the seed stage break off a flower and shake it over the area of your garden where you want it , 'cause them things 'self seed' dead easy !

WILL TRY AGAIN SEE IF IT WORKS THIS TIME . SORRY CLIFFTON I THINK YOU HAVE THE WRONG SIGNAL BOX THIS MAY BE NETHERFIELD LANE LONG EATON

MY REASONS FOR SAYING THIS I BY 1980S IT WAS VICTORIA RD NOT NETHERFIELD LANE ITS ORRIGINAL NAME

2 THE HOUSE IS WRONG IT HAD A LONG GARDEN ACROSS THE FRONT

3 THE FIRST TERRACE TRAFFIC TERRACE WAS NOT UNTILL AFTER THE CAROLINE CLUB

This is early 1980s. I didn't know the area then, but the scene has changed quite a bit since those days.

caro.jpg

And look at the row of houses off to the right of the photo......I'll be back soon with some better pictures of that terrace

TRIED TO POST THE POST I JUST MADE 4 TIMES AND IT WOULD NOT LET ME JUST KEPT CLICKING OF MICK WHENT TO OTHER THREAD POSTED OK THERE THEN CAME BACK TO THIS THREAD AND ITS LET ME POST BABS ITS THEM GREMLINS AT IT MICK