Thanks Babs, I was a bit disappointed when we went to have a look and it was gone. I feel as though some one mentioned for a car park ? My Gt and Gt Gt and Gt Gt Gt grandfathers all lived on Mar Hill Road at one stage , but of course my Gt grandfather was only a child. Blimey, it gets complicated. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting at the top.On the corner, a policeman lived with his daughter, all I remember is ,thay had pet mice, that they would ride in a train set..on the right hand side, a Terrace, a family called Ki

Deabill Street.odd number side- Sue Furr/David Furr. Dave Woods. Stephen Slattery. Elaine Smith/Keith Smith/ cant remember anymore. Down a side Road, Arthur & Robert ?. I know Arthur had a B

I have just been trying to get all of the info up on the census forms. Ancestry.com seem to have changed things around and I am struggling to find my family on the 1901 census. I am going to have to spend a bit of time catching up on the changes. Nottstalgia seems to have taken over my spare time. At the moment this is what I have got.

On the 1911 census...21 Marhill Road, my Granddad age 17. Gt Granddad age 37 and his wife plus Gt Gt Grandma age 57. I can,t find Gt Gt Granddad, will look in deaths!

At another house number, at some stage lived GT Gt Gt Grandparents. Great Here int it ! I have all this infomation in my tree, I just need some catch up time. I'm pretty sure all of these people had left this world before you lived on Mar Hill Road Mick.

Interesting, I thought those house were built slightly later than that?

I do have a copy of the deeds of the old house somewhere?

It was number in the 50s

I have double checked on Ancestry.com and the people I have mentioned on #78 were all there at no 21 Marhill Road on the 1911 Census Gt Gt Granddad died in 1908, so that would explain why Gt Gt Grandma aged 57 was only mentioned. So how much earlier the houses where built I don't know. On the 1901 census my Gt Grandparents and Granddad ( Who was only a child) lived in the house on Arthur St, Netherfield. The one that has been demolished. They probable moved in with his parents at Marhill, after the demolition. Mick, I would be interested to know when the houses were built on Marhill.

I have found them on the 1901 census the three generations lived on Windmill Lane in two houses not Marhill Road? I'm not looking anymore now. My mind is getting Boggled!!!

• Upvote 1

1903 Mick, That would tie in with the whereabouts and house moving of my Ancesters. 1901 some were at Windmill Lane, One family at Arthur St Netherfield. By 1911 Most of them had moved to what appears to be the 1903 newly built Marhill Road Houses. Yippee. Solved It.

Nice one. Thanks Mick. I can imagine my Gt Gt Granparents coming through that front door over 100 yrs ago. Probably on their way to The Blacks Head or Old Volunteer for a pint of Ale.

Just as a point of interest, I have been trying to find some info on when these two pubs were built. I can get a round about idea on The Old Vol, but nothing on The Blacks Head. Has any one got any idea? They are both quite old!