As far as I know, Pixie they never managed to actually bomb the marshalling yard. I'm sure Hitler would have liked to. My grandmother used to tell of German bombers dropping flares East of the yards, probably trying to find them. May have been the same time as they hit the Meadow lane area.

I posted another pic on the Netherfield thread showing the back of Godfrey street and the work just starting on the ring road as it passed behind those houses. My back would have been almost exactly where the entrance to the old repair shops once stood. There used to be a dike came out from under those shops and meandered all the way down to the Trent. Us kids used to love to play around it. I assume they put it in a culvert when the shopping center was built. It may even have been the Ouse Dike that ran from Gedling by the Royal Oak (Inn for a Penny) pub. Not sure maybe some with a better knowledge of that could correct me if necessary.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starting at the top.On the corner, a policeman lived with his daughter, all I remember is ,thay had pet mice, that they would ride in a train set..on the right hand side, a Terrace, a family called Ki

Deabill Street.odd number side- Sue Furr/David Furr. Dave Woods. Stephen Slattery. Elaine Smith/Keith Smith/ cant remember anymore. Down a side Road, Arthur & Robert ?. I know Arthur had a B

NO NEED TO CORRECT YOU LOPPY JUST PUT A SHORT SOST ABOUT YOUR PIC.

AS FOR THE BOMBING IT IS SAID BY MANY THAT THE GERMAN BOMBERS MISTOOK MEADOW KANE AND COLWICK RD FOR THE RIVER AND BOMBED TO EARLY AS THEY WERE SURPOSSED TO HIT THE SIDDINGS AND THE PETROL DEPOES INSTEAD OF THE AREA THEY HIT

HEY MICK THE WHITE BIT BETWEEN THE LINES AS I HAVE ALWAYS SAID WAS THE BIT OF NETHERFIELD WERE I LIVED THIS MAKES IT LOOK MORE LIKE AN ISLAND I HAVE ALWAYS SAID IT FELT LIKE LIVING DOWN THERE AND IT SHOWS THE TREE TERRACES AND THE RAILWAY OFFICES

I THINK BY 1980S TRAFFIC TECACE AND THE OTHER TERRACES WERE ALREADY BEEN PULLED DOWN MY SISTER JEAN LIVED AT NO 12 TILL THEY WERE MOVED OUT AND MY YOUNGER SON WAY ONLY A FEW MONTHS OLD AND HE WAS BORN SEP 1980 SO THEY MOVED OUT 1981 LATEST

Ooer, i was told that the sidings WERE bombed & thats why they were demolished and the area was left as marshland for quite some time. The person who told me said he vaguely remembers it happening.. It was a long time ago though, stories do get mixed! & Wow, just thinking that from lidle to the river/lagoons were just railway lines & would once have trains running up and down. Strange to think.. Anyone got any more pics of the sidings?

The building in Cliffs photo does look like Carolines but according to streetview, it is not directly next to the crossing?

Carolines recent shot

carolines.jpg

Are you saying the building in Cliffs photo cant be Carolines? You can certainly tell it is, you can even see the name on the building and tell how the building is exactly the same as that in cliffs photo... Its never been directly next to the train line as you had that house between carolines and the railway line.. The pic cliff posted just made it look alot closer together because of the angel it was taken

The building in the original photo is definitely Caroline's in Netherfield; as has been pointed out, you can see the name on the front and the building is exactly the same (count the windows, the bay, the roof projection, etc etc)

But why netherfield lane?

The answer to that is on this map

lane-1.jpg

Look what the road was called beyond Locomotive Terrace. On this map you can also see the building in the photo which is situated between the level crossing, the signal box and the Caroline's building (which even then was called "Club")

Seem to remember that signal box having Netherfield Lane on it when I was a kid 1950's. The building called the Caroline club was once a pub. Can't remember the exact name but I think it was pretty popular with the railway guys in its day. I'm as sure as I can be that cliff's photo is of Netherfield. As Pixie said the angle may be what is making it look a bit different.

• 2 years later...

Just to clear things up , I can confirm that it is the "Caroline Club" in the first picture as I did a lot of the alterations when it was converted from a railway mens club to the "Caroline Club "around 1975-76 , the club was named after Caroline the niece of the owner Mrs Unwin ,she ran the club with her son Bobby and daughter Roisin ....on the opening night I was the DJ and Jimmy "Mr Fuzzy Fingers" Willan was on the Keyboard ,It traded as a club for a few years before closing and I was led to believe that Bobby Unwin used the large arched shed at the back as a garage for his lorries.

• Upvote 1

your right there bob mrs unwin is mary who used to run the bar at the george hotel roshine her daughter was a hair dresser and did my hair the day i got married they used to live just round the corner from the windsor castle pub . i was told bobby stilll lives in tne uper part of the building this was always the living quarters of the club even when it was railway club the downstairs was the mens only bar,the main part of the clubs was at the back of this bulding it had a rounded corrigater rooff and the building is stll there it was a long room withthe bar at one end and the stage was at the far end 2 dressing rooms male and female it seated about 2oo people in for rowsemergency doors half way down on the right covered by the same curtains that were on the stage. i know thw the building is still there because we went in lydle the other week and you can see it from the car parki have lots of nice memmories of the club when it was railway mens club it was the original railway mens club and at one time you could not be a member unless you worked on the railway, but when they built the new brsa club it continued as a club but was then open to all men at that time it was men only but wifes and children could go into the concert room but only as guestslater they had ladies section and then membershipwas open to both sexs but the top bar still remained men only bari sometimes went in that bar on a sundayafternoon when it was closed. when dad was helping to bottle up both bars ready for the night time rushsundays was a busy night as they always had artists on

• 6 months later...

Mick 4 Pat , Remember Deabill Street very well. Lived at no.9 Ethel grove from 1946 to 1957 when we moved to Colwick ,my name is Mick Reddish and I went to Ashwell street school , Chandos Street, then on to Arnold and Carlton College. Really enjoy reading memories from Piggy and Babs. Any one out there remember us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mick4patthe map should bring back lots of memories for you ethel grove and all the houses can be seen.can also see the muck hills and the dyke and the pond they drained all the oil into from the sheds.

hi carnie

ment the map at the top of this page the big white bit marked allotments was mainly waste land when i was a kid.the little square bit was the pond with ouse dyke comming out of it

Thanks Babs, Don't Know how I missed that? I'll just go back up check it out. Nice to see you posting, hope your both keeping OK and look forward to seeing you next year.

Had a look and Arthur Street that my Gt Grandfather lived on is just off the map. When we went to see where he lived, his house was gone.To make way for something or other. I'm sure you would know what for Babs.

sorry carnie im not sure but a few houses came down at the very bottom end for expansion a small bussiness there was some disgution about this area some time ago.some one did mentiona posibilty that it was bombed in the war.