Speed Camera (and other) Statistics

I have absolutely no problem with hammering all speeding drivers,

Having spent the last 17 years prior to retirement involved in the

investigation of fatal road traffic accidents collisions.

Many of the fatalities being totally innocent parties.

Yes, speed is a major contributing factor in the majority of traffic collisions.

At last someone speaking sense! find it rather ironic though that today's cars have a top speed in some cases twice the national speed limit? guess in earlier days same could be said for likes of (standard) ford anglia/vauxhall viva/mini top speed v 30 or 40 mph limits, ie in the end it's up to the driver? but the fact (most) of today's car's have power, acceleration,etc far in excess of the average driver's capabilities plus the fact that this appears to be the "selling point" leads (some) drivers to merely regard the speed limits as the minimum they should drive at! It would be interesting to see the A52 Gamston to A46 speeding conviction records. Either I have a "fast" speedo or there must be dozens daily getting done on there! whether it's a case of "I must get past this old car to justify me spending a fortune on this 4x4 3 litre air conned 7 seater more suited to The Dakar Rally than taking the kids to school" or not I don't know but if I drive at a steady 60 there virtually every car comes past me! (usually to be caught up with in the empty inside lane at the next traffic lights)

I've got to admit to driving rather fast , but I always drive to the conditions, ie a clear motorway will see me scooting along at a fair rate of knots, if it's busy I slow down (Even if I could go faster) If it's raining i slow down etc etc, I find it alot harder to stick to 70 on the motorway (Stupid slow speed limit anyway!!) as my motor is quite a bit higher off the road and you don't get the sense of the speed you're actually doing.

General defences to such charges try to highlight the driving skills of the defendant, and 'good road conditions' in mitigation.

However driving for the conditions means sticking to the speed limit.

It does not however appease the deceased's relatives, nor usually the judge.

without quoting any particular case, they are so common. Seen it many times before.

Lost count of the death by dangerous driving cases I have been involved with.

And why is the road closed for hours after a fatal, because the detailed examination is for

a possible manslaughter charge against the ofending driver. Both the deceased and

the offender are usually quite ordinary people.

I forgot to mention that in nearly 30 years of driving for my living (Doing in the region of 3 million miles in the process) I have not had one accident that was deemed my fault, I've avoided dozens of them caused by numpties driving in the middle lane of the motorway (Usually women or old men ) doing 60 mph , cause they ' feel safe ' at that speed !!!

Ive still got a letter from Nottinghamshire Police Somewhere.

Received in 1970

Dear Mr. ********

Regarding your vehicle UAU **** noted by a Police Constable parked outside the Dancing Slipper Ballroom, Central Avenue, West Bridgeford at 8.46pm on 14th July 1970, without displaying a valid Vehicle Excise Licence. It has been decided to deal with this in the form of a caution, However should you commit further offences of this nature, you may then be reported with a view to prosecution for those offences.

I had stuck the postal order stubs in my tax disk holder, otherwise he probably would not have noticed!

My only other Police Record is "Roxanne"

3 Speed Information signs, in built-up areas:

YOUR SPEED

SLOW DOWN

YOUR SPEED

THANK YOU

YOUR SPEED

WANKER

@ Private Eye, Feb 2011.

Somewhere I have a photo of the sign as you enter Draycott.

It had been changed by removing letters form

Please Drive Carefully to:

Please D i e Carefully.

once got a ticket parked up in Beeston for no tax, (traffic warden) did the usual "taking it for a booked mot" and was told to pay fee equiv of one month's tax, did that and heard no more, never heard of another example of that?

Slightly off topic but here goes.

As I drove home from Cornwall last weekend we came to a traffic jam , (As usual) hearing it was going on for a good 10 miles I decided to get off the A 30 and cut accross the tracks and lanes over Bodmin Moor , eventually coming out by Dozemary Pool and Jamaica Inn, on the journey over we passed through a little hamlet called "Warleggan" We noticed on the "Welcome to Warleggan" sign, it was twinned with "Narnia" . Cheered me up no end .

Found these on Google Earth

6083854472_ff5c672535_b.jpg

6083854400_1ea9cdd64f_b.jpg

• 2 years later...

26 % Rubbish! Just wasted 2mins of my life.

Not many Muslims in Deltona me thinks.