Dancing at the Locarno

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could have been one night at the 'Locarno''..back in 1960..Teenbeat for 14 to 16 year olds. .........................................Eu up Mavis............on yer own ? Might be........(chew

Wish it was still going........could have our next 'Meet up' there....on a Tuesday night...smoking and drinking 'Coke' Collar up and wearing me 'Winkle Pickers'' waiting for Margie.to come o

Anyway not long after Mavis had reunited with ''Big Ron'' i was back down the 'Locarno' on Tuesday ''Teenbeat nights'' Looking for a bit of a 'dance' and 'Romance'...Was working for Marsdens now

Had a lot of visitors from Devon today.......no female shortage Jill..........lol

On 5/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Wish it was still going........could have our next 'Meet up' there....on a Tuesday night...smoking and drinking 'Coke'

Collar up and wearing me 'Winkle Pickers''

waiting for Margie.to come out the 'Powder room''

Dancing with 'Katyjay' to the 'Locomotion''

Be a first for 'Trogg and Clifton''

Bk could get beat up again''

And i'm sure Lizzie..Sue.Nonna.and Carnie...could tempt the boys.whllst dancing round their 'Handbags''

Even Brew might enjoy the music..

Jill might even do the 'Black Bottom'' in her Ballet shoes.........

Obviously for the night to be real...we'd need a fight at the end of the night......to see who's taking who home.......:rolleyes:

if I remembr correctly it was 1/3 to get in on a Tuesday night and tanner for a coke. Was it not also called "teeny bopper's night" 

• Like 1

1/6 when i went Mary...in 1959/60/61....don't think the term 'Teeny Boppers'' was in use back then..........

Ben, you have to remember that Mary is  couple of years younger than you so in 1961 she would have only been 14 and it may have been called Teeny Boppers a bit after this?

• Like 2

Anyway not long after Mavis had reunited with ''Big Ron'' i was back down the 'Locarno' on Tuesday ''Teenbeat nights''

Looking for a bit of a 'dance' and 'Romance'...Was working for Marsdens now and at 16 in the summer of 61' earning a bit more money.....after paying my Mam £3 board still had just over £2 for mesen.......the world was indeed my 'Oyster'

I was with my mate Keith (Columbo) scanning the ladies on the dance floor.....when i spotted this lovely dark haired girl who could really move.....she was dancing with a blonde girl.......both were wearing flat shoes and them 'Flared skirts' and were really 'giving it some'.......

The song playing was ''Ginny come lately'' Brian Hyland...when we asked them 'Dance Duck'?...the 'Ginny'' song was a bit of a slow one...so we were pushing our luck for a first dance........

But they said....''yea spose so''

My dark haired beauty was named 'Molly' from down Meadows and her mate was Julie also a Meadows girl...........

Walked em home that first night.....bit of a kiss and Cuddle'' on corner of Crocus street......and a date for Thursday afternoon down the Embankment was sorted....they both worked in shops in town...so Thursday half day same as me and Columbo'' was nice and handy.......

Turned out to be a great Summer of courting 'Molly and Julie.....Skegness a couple of Sundays by train,,,even a train trip to Barrow on Soar one Thursday afternoon.....

End of the Summer saw us go our different ways..hope Molly has the good memories i still have of 61..

• Like 6

Certainly did Cliff ton........walk down the river Soar with her and her tranny.......lol

Come that Winter i was mostly working Derby and Chesterfield no Thursday half days and always late back home...........so we just drifted apart...........anyway i was seeing Diane off Teviot road............lol

Ben, Have you ever dated a girl from Woodthorpe?  If you have, I might even know them!!!

No Margie.....but had a work-mate i was Pals with.. Pete Ward...lived on Woodthorpe drive

It’s a longish road.  Did he live on the lower part of the road or the top part near Mapperley.?

Oh yes my old boss at Farrands/Marsdens also lived on Woodthorpe drive..Ken Barrand.......

In that bad winter of 63........i had the use of a Farrands 15cwt van.all logoed up and...not to be used privately.........

Anyway one night when it was snowing heavy...about 10pm after i'd dropped Trina off........i got into a skid top of Woodthorpe........and passed Ken's house side-ways......lol

Edit both lived Pete and Ken in the middle of Woodthorpe drive..

• Like 2

Neither of those  names sound familiar ….. did you enjoy your slide down the hill?  

A friend of mine lives at the bottom of Woodthorpe Drive on the triangle of land that used to be allotments. There was a small building on the corner of Mansfield Rd. Had that been a toll house? We used to get into Woodthorpe Park after hours through a bent railing opposite the bank that goes down to Woodthorpe Avenue.

• Like 1

No Margie;; scared me stiff......especially passing Ken's house side-ways.....and for some reason i ''Ducked down'' so he wouldn't see me............:ohmy:

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

A friend of mine lives at the bottom of Woodthorpe Drive on the triangle of land that used to be allotments. There was a small building on the corner of Mansfield Rd. Had that been a toll house? 

This area ?   https://goo.gl/maps/p83E5W4zju7wAoLXA

Note there are two Woodthorpe Drives. Apparently there used to be a toll gate at the end of the southerly road, so people would sneak up the back alley (the northerly path) to avoid paying.

• Like 1

Apparently Woodthorpe Drive used to be called Scout Lane.  I used to use that back lane/path when I got off the bus from Mansfield (when I was working at Harlow Wood) as it was a short cut to get me home more quickly.

Barrow on Soar now thats just woke me up remembering Sunday afternoons. Some people thought we had lots of money has we had a car in 1950sss so Sunday after noon it was pick up half my dads family from the medows and down to B o S oh!! and not  forgetting the cricket bat, my dad had trials for Nottmshire but could not take up the offer due to the low wagers. Now after picnic out came the cricket bat. Each time some child came over to watch, dad told them to fetch there dads so we could all play. We soon had a full team. left around 7 00 and called at pup on th way home, happy days!!

• Like 3