Dancing at the Locarno

Has any one out there any recollection of the Lacarno and the fantastic time we used to have there. Any one who was anyone used to attend the lunch and evening sessions but the best of all were the 24 hour dance sessions that were held mostly on Bank Holidays. They were wonderful times

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could have been one night at the 'Locarno''..back in 1960..Teenbeat for 14 to 16 year olds. .........................................Eu up Mavis............on yer own ? Might be........(chew

Wish it was still going........could have our next 'Meet up' there....on a Tuesday night...smoking and drinking 'Coke' Collar up and wearing me 'Winkle Pickers'' waiting for Margie.to come o

Anyway not long after Mavis had reunited with ''Big Ron'' i was back down the 'Locarno' on Tuesday ''Teenbeat nights'' Looking for a bit of a 'dance' and 'Romance'...Was working for Marsdens now

I think the clue is in the title, Mick, LOL. I used to go in 1962 to the Tuesday night sessions, I think it was teen night? I remember it was quite a hike from my bus stop in Hanley Street.

I remember tuesday nights although I had forgotten it was called teen night, remember mam getting my first suit from the co-op so I could go, I cringe when I think of that suit and walking round with my shirt collar turned up, still it was the fashion in 61 & 62. Also remember the mime contests and the live band.

Yeah - went to the Locarno regularly between 1959 and 1963. I went in the evenings and also on Friday lunchtime in my dinner hour from work.

No dinner - just wild jiving!

Great times!

• 2 years later...

tueday nights i think were called teanbeat,they were brilliant 1960 to 63,admision 1s6d,lunchtine 6d,felt great in my italian suit and winkle pickers and just a touch of old spice.

• 5 years later...

Demolshing my tuesday nights of 60/61/62,,Teenbeat 1/6,, old spice,,great bands,,shoe shine 6d,,Jackie,,Bev,,Sandra,,Anita,,Christine,,Val,, all now will be gone forever,,

Thanks for the memories,, 

• Like 1

CT. I think the Locarno was PREVIOUSLY called the Vic...   not the other way round.   We knew it was called the Locarno when we went there in 1959 - 61 but many people, including me and my friends, still referred to it as the Vic.

Ben,  our paths may well have crossed at the Locarno, but as I went with a 'close - knit' group it probably wouldn't have been on the actual dance floor.   We girls used to make fairly frequent visits to the powder room to renew our make up and spray even more lacquer on our hair, as well as talking about the boys we were with, so maybe our paths crossed on the stairs?    (I'm not suggesting you used to loiter outside the girls' powder room btw!!)

• Like 1

Whenever I hear Little Eva singing Locomotion, I am back at the Locano, age 16, and everyone going round the floor moving their arms like train wheels.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ha, it's amazing how certain songs cast ones mind back to past times !

I particularly remember dancing to 'Runaway' by Del Shannon whenever I think of the Vic"... don't know why.  But there wasn't any particular moves for that!t

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What memories the Victory Ballroom as it was first called was bottom end of where St Ann's Well Road started, (my mum and dad met there) then in the 50s/60s/ it was called the Locarno,  I'm sure that you girls can remember dancing around your handbag's although i think that i'm ahead of myself Rock n Roll was first,  then  jive came in, then the handbags. Next to the Locarno  was the Empress picture house. Ladies can you remember all the boy's standing around and just watching the ladies dance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Runaway always reminds me of Goose Fair, along with Oh Carol by the Everlys, and Diana by Paul Anka. Not relevant name wise, but it's just that I remember the songs.

Likewise, Mr Tambourine Man, at St Ives in Cornwall, summer of 67.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, MargieH said:

(I'm not suggesting you used to loiter outside the girls' powder room btw!!)

Margie,,i would have loitered anywhere for you,,,,xx

• Upvote 1

Oh Carol,,Diana,,Tambourine man,, what memories fly,,

Oh Carol,,comling to after being hit by a cricket ball. bulwell common,, 

Diana,,she lived on Teviot and i loved her,,

Tambourine man,, big Brenda,,Coalville,,1964,,God she was lovely,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

OH God Ben, spare us the A to Z !  LOL

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

CT. I think the Locarno was PREVIOUSLY called the Vic...   not the other way round.

Correct, Margie. It was the Victoria Ballroom. My parents first met there one evening in February 1947.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Dancing at the Locarno