Dancing at the Locarno

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could have been one night at the 'Locarno''..back in 1960..Teenbeat for 14 to 16 year olds. .........................................Eu up Mavis............on yer own ? Might be........(chew

Wish it was still going........could have our next 'Meet up' there....on a Tuesday night...smoking and drinking 'Coke' Collar up and wearing me 'Winkle Pickers'' waiting for Margie.to come o

Anyway not long after Mavis had reunited with ''Big Ron'' i was back down the 'Locarno' on Tuesday ''Teenbeat nights'' Looking for a bit of a 'dance' and 'Romance'...Was working for Marsdens now

I too was in the Young Conservatives Phil. The Woodborough branch. The YC had a dance at The Palais, the only time I set foot in the place. And the only thing I remember from that night apart from the revolving floor, was everyone making the floor bouce when Judy In Disguise was played!

• Upvote 1

I belonged to the Trent Valley Young Conservatives. That brought in all the villages along the valley from Hoveringham to Kelham. Our meeting place was the Bromley Arms tea rooms at Fiskerton on a Monday evening and then in the bar. It was in no way political, just a social gathering of 20 to 30's for fun and frolics. We were part of the Newark Division where the monthly meetings of the officials (I was treasurer) took place in the constituency office in the corner of the Market Square. It continued in the Queen's Head!  We did have the odd speaker, games evenings and various jollies but politics was rarely mentioned. It was basically, drinking, wenching and general tomfoolery with the odd charabanc trip to Skeggy thrown in. Happy days!

We did some great Treasure Hunts around the lanes of Notts, visited the sugar beet factory, quizzes, usually ended up in The Cross Keys, Epperstone.  I only joined because my then boyfriend (now husband) was a member. He lived in Carlton but went to Clarendon College on a day release for business studies, and others in the class were in Y.C. I always felt a little out of my depth there as most of the others were from well-to-do families, but they were all friendly. 

• Like 1

Our members were from a wide range of occupations and not all were Conservative voters. I do remember the car treasure hunts, usually in the wilds of Lincolnshire, a trip to the police HQ at Epperstone, a visit to the AA headquarters on Derby Rd and a trip round the caves of Nottingham. These were organised by the secretary who is now my wife so it was a marriage bureau as well! To say it's only a few miles away, and I pass it regularly, I have never been in the Cross Keys in all of my 57 years in the Trent Valley. I do remember driving past there some mornings and seeing the blood from the abattoir running down the village gutter!

That's funny Phil. When we got married, the Evening Post came and took a photo of us outside the church.  The headline over the pic said, Chairman marries his secretary. That's what our positions were in the Y.C. 

• Like 1

I can't remember a George working at Parr's,  Phil, I was there July 67 to 70. The girls in the punch room didn't mix with the programmers, computer operators etc. Men in general!

21 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Barn dances - Young Conservatives. We had jazz and beat groups and rolls in the hay. What’s not to like!

I suppose you had to be careful as i don't think that the pill was on the market at that time. We also being from the great city of Nottingham had a great time , and of course we were street wise.

Phil, I remember Ron Calvert well, but not Ken Woods. Must have been before or after me. In the first year I was there, they moved office twice. Srarted out in a Victorian house on Cranmer St. Then moved to an office above the Bowling Alley and then their permanent office, on the corner of Canal St and Cliff Rd. In each case all that huge machinery went up 3 floors. No lifts on 1st and 3rd places.

It was at the Canal St. premises that I first got to know them. Ken Woods came to visit me with a sales pitch and I used Parrs for all our accounts processing including payroll. Later Ken and Rod Bishop set up their own Apple agency, one of the first in the UK and we moved over to Apple computers using their programs. Their firm, KRCS, still exists to this day and I was there with my daughter last week getting her iPhone fixed. Ken is still the MD. 

Who did you work for Phil, maybe I recognize the name. A few we did data processing for were Bell Fruit, Smith Dennis and a few textile firms. One was a blue jeans co. in Colwick and another was a knitwear co. Remember putting in the colours of mens jumpers.

I worked at Smith Dennis for a couple of years, if it's  the one that were on Berridge rd. Was in the tool room, must be about '67. The name George Hemsley rings a bell. Not that this has any significance.  B.

• 9 months later...

Welcome to the forum, Richard.   Bill Haley.!  .. I think you are my generation.  May have seen you at the Locarno, but of course we'll never know now  :wacko:

There we differ Richard ..... I don' t like Trad Jazz at all!   But St Jude's was only along the road from Mapperley Methodist where I used to go, and where we subsequently married in 1966.  I wasn't in the choir though!!

• 6 months later...

Tuesday nights ''TEENBEAT'''  Admission 1/6    about 60/61

Get there early,,,powder room for a freshener (old Spice and a shoe shine gave the man a tanner.......check the full length mirror make sure i still look like Billy Fury.........

Then out on to the bouncy Dance floor to the sound of Paul Anka giving it ''Diana'''

more to follow only by request   :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Dancing at the Locarno 1959 - 1962

Scanned the Dance floor    a few likely looking girls who should be up for a Dance or two........took mesen to the Bar for a coke checking another big mirror on the way.......Winkle Pickers and Italian suit looking good....see some mates from Bestwood on the Balcony ..so go up to em....all having a smoke and i join in....

MORE?

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Dancing at the Locarno