Dancing at the Locarno

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could have been one night at the 'Locarno''..back in 1960..Teenbeat for 14 to 16 year olds. .........................................Eu up Mavis............on yer own ? Might be........(chew

Wish it was still going........could have our next 'Meet up' there....on a Tuesday night...smoking and drinking 'Coke' Collar up and wearing me 'Winkle Pickers'' waiting for Margie.to come o

Anyway not long after Mavis had reunited with ''Big Ron'' i was back down the 'Locarno' on Tuesday ''Teenbeat nights'' Looking for a bit of a 'dance' and 'Romance'...Was working for Marsdens now

Actually, we fen females are very strong willed, open minded and know our rights!

However, I still think women’s exploits are viewed differently from men’s, in the eyes of many of the older generation.   Having read comments on Nottstalgia over the past 5 years on various controversial subjects, I can see that some  of the people on here are still quite ‘conservative’ in their opinions.

That’s not meant as a particularly negative comment btw .... I’m just saying it as I see it.

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

Been a while since I visited, and wondered if anyone has memories of the Locarno? First went in 1960, and was smitten! The music then-when I first went in with a couple of mates, the song Runaway by Del  Shannon was playing. After that went every Sat, some Sundays, Bank Holidays. Remember the twelve hour Rock Around The Clock sessions? Every hour, on came the Bill Haley and The Comets song. Jiving----great stuff. Girl watching---even better. Sadly, when the locomotion and the twist dominated i lost interest. Having said that the Locarno was the highlight of the week---and no booze. But there was a Blackjack, a mix with cola, nice with a fag to sit and watch if you didi'nt get a dance partner. Happy Dys.

• Like 3
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Dancing at the Locarno

Wish it was still going........could have our next 'Meet up' there....on a Tuesday night...smoking and drinking 'Coke'

Collar up and wearing me 'Winkle Pickers''

waiting for Margie.to come out the 'Powder room''

Dancing with 'Katyjay' to the 'Locomotion''

Be a first for 'Trogg and Clifton''

Bk could get beat up again''

And i'm sure Lizzie..Sue.Nonna.and Carnie...could tempt the boys.whllst dancing round their 'Handbags''

Even Brew might enjoy the music..

Jill might even do the 'Black Bottom'' in her Ballet shoes.........

Obviously for the night to be real...we'd need a fight at the end of the night......to see who's taking who home.......:rolleyes:

• Like 7
Just now, benjamin1945 said:

Dancing with 'Katyjay' to the 'Locomotion''

Be a first for 'Trogg and Clifton''

I couldn't have been there.......I was a junior school when 'Locomotion was released.

• Like 1

I only ever went in two dance halls, the Palais and Colmans and then only once each. My dancing is frightening sight and people tend to hide the horses and lock up their daughters.

Tried the Dungeon once but was turned away by the doorman, it was the first time I heard the word gay used in a different context.

A friend and I were regulars in the Bodega though I can't ever remember any dancing in there.

As for fighting the last time was at the Chateau one New Years Eve. Some drunk nocked my wife down on the dance floor then got abusive. A plain clothes policeman stopped it going too far. The car park at the Chateau was unlit and had  big tree growing in the centre. I was so cross I didn't proper attention and slammed the car backwards into the tree... Happy New Year my a***

• Like 1

Colmans's was my alternative Tuesdays to the Locarno. I remember where it was, but remember nothing else about the place. Obviously it didn't make an impression! 

Easiest access was from Clumber street, up stairs and narrow room with the DJ at one end. Quite small in comparison to others

• 2 months later...

This could have been one night at the 'Locarno''..back in 1960..Teenbeat for 14 to 16 year olds. .........................................Eu up Mavis............on yer own ?

Might be........(chewing her 'Beachnut)

Still gewing out with Big Ron ?

Might be...you still with Sandra ?

No...aint seen her since she started work...

Where she work?

''Stumps on Haydn road..meking Cricket Bats..........

''Ha Ha funny....yo do think ya funny don't ya.......

'' Only like to see ya lovely smile Mavis.......

Oooh wer....yo really fancy yersen don't ya.....

Not as much as i fancy you Gel..........Wanna Dance?

Go on then.....i like this one (some elses baby..Adam Faith) after a few dances asked her..

Shall we go upstairs with a 'Coke and Smoke'?

Sitting on the Balcony i saw Big Ron with his mates on the edge of the Dance floor......Scanning.......

Hey Mavis.....Big Rons down there !!

Yea i know..seen him...he's looking fer me.......go and tell him i'm with you now.......

Ya joking......ya know he's a bit nasty if someone upsets him...

If ya want to be the one who teks me om tonight....GO AND TELL HIM !!!

Taking a deep breath said ''OK Duck''

On the way down to him..thought 'Bleddy Hell he'll kill me.''

Hey up Ron you ok ?

Hey up Ben yea ok..are you ?

Don't tell Mavis ya seen me if ya see her...im off innabit seeing another girl up 'Donkey Hill''

OK Ron...my lips are sealed......

At that he left........

Got back upstairs to Mavis.......

OK Duck..told him to ''do one'' and hes left the building.....

''OH Ben.....i think youre great.......

I know...want another dance ?

• Like 9

Got ya 1/6 ers ready ?.............its 1960 andTuesday Teenbeat night.........

8p busfare from Arnold road bridge and back.........

6p for Shoeshine man........

1/4 Ten Parkies........

2 bob for a few Coca cola's

Total = 6/2............

13/10 left out of me £......enough to take Mavis to Gaumont Wednesday night....'Expresso Bongo''.....and dance all the way home,,,,,,,,,,

What a wonderful world.........and all for under a £ ya know.....

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

6p for Shoeshine man........

I've never in my life paid to have my shoes shined by someone.

That's obviously the explanation why I was never as successful as Ben.

• Like 1

Took Mavis to Gaumont......started with 13/10....

2x 4p ones on 17 bus to town....Mavis lived on Heathfield estate...

Money now 13/2.......

Back row upstairs 3/6 each...left with 6/2

Popcorn for Mavis

Sucker for me...........cash now 4/2

Film 'Expresso Bongo'' not bad not great...but must get a shirt like 'Cliff's' when he was 'Tom-Tomming on the Bongo's......

Both underage but got served in 'Peach Tree'' 2 halves of Mild 1/6...quite nice in little room Forman street side...Radio Luxemburg crackling away......

Mavis said....who's that bloke at the Bar? think i know him...

Daft as it sounds i knew him too...it was David Whitfield......

Cash now down to 2/8....Bought 10 Parkies 1/4.......and headed for the Bus...number 17....8d fare...left me with 8d.........

Mavis wanted another 1/2 pint in the Heathfield.......but with 8 pence no chance....she said neh mind me Mam'll treat us..she be in best room having a sing song.....

Sure enough she was and did......

Finished the night 'Sing-songing'...with her Mam and Aunts

Stan on the Mike..Dickie Bird on Drums and Eric on Piano...

Kissed Mavis and her Mam and Aunts good night...

Got home still with eight pence.......Not bad hey two nights out and still not spent me Quid........

• Like 3

In case you are wondering what i did with the 8 Pennies i still had....i can tell you now ''I JUST FRITTERED IT AWAY ''.....lol...

• Like 1

Me and Mavis didn't last long.......think she really loved 'Big Ron'' cos she went back to him and eventually married him....

But never mind......met Molly soon after ..again at the 'Locarno'' on a Tuesday night ''Teenbeat.''........She was quite a girl from the Meadows...but won't bore you any more...unless by request........;)