Sign in to follow this  
Cliff Ton

Weekday Cross

I still think the Nottingham Contemporary building at Weekday Cross is the easy winner for the ugliest building in town, worse than any of the concrete monstrosities of the 60s.

The location looked better even in the days when it was the black hole of the tunnel entrance leading to Victoria Station.

Like this

tunnel4.jpg

tunnel1.jpg

tunnel2.jpg

Agreed...complete eyesore!

When seeing such designs, often wonder if the architect also resides in a monstrosity...

Rather intrigued by the elevated building, mid picture background...what can it be?

Cheers

Robt P.

Rather intrigued by the elevated building, mid picture background...what can it be?

If you are referring to the one I think (and you can also see it in the third photo) it is the building which was replaced by the one in the centre of HERE

I agree with the above comments...awful building. Had the misfortune of actually going inside to see the " art ", apart from making a good cup of coffee, it doesn't do anything for me!!

I've been in for a couple of gigs there. It's quite a doomy and stark construction I think. Nice enough bar though.

Regarding the 'Nottingham Contemporary'; my opinion is that it resembles a quickly constructed temporary warehouse.

Thank you to the kind soul who - on my behalf - has inserted a miniature copy of the 'Mona Lisa' (Leonardo da Vinci). I like it.

Art Critic Walter Pater in an essay on Leonardo (1867) described the 'Mona Lisa' as 'an illusionary example of enduring femininity, "older than the rocks among which she sits and who has been dead many times and learned the secrets of the grave." ' unionflag

It's quite a doomy and stark construction I think. Nice enough bar though.

I've been in the place a couple of times and dislike the inside as much as I dislike the exterior. A lot of the inside is like being in the stair well of a 1960s concrete multi-storey car park, and we know how much everyone likes those.

Doe's it smell like the stairwell of a 1960's car park? Hope not, it would be enough to put you off your Latte!!

I've been in the place a couple of times and dislike the inside as much as I dislike the exterior. A lot of the inside is like being in the stair well of a 1960s concrete multi-storey car park, and we know how much everyone likes those.

But does it smell of urine(being polite) :)