the only two people in Cardiff who knew where Doctor Parks' Corner was.

Just out of curiosity, is that still the common name? Used to catch the 74A Trent bus from Thurgarton to visit friends and family in Netherfield, get off there and walk down Conway Road; every Trent driver knew where it was.

I would presume that Doctor Parks either had a surgery there or owned a house nearby; can someone confirm this?

I'm sure someone will answer those questions, but here's a 1920's photo of the place and it hasn't really changed much

parks.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Parks corner, always knew it as that, the school dentist practiced his art there, i recall the nurse coming to Chandos St School in the late 50s/early 60s, quick check of your teeth and mad

Re Park House and Dr Parkes' Corner. Dr Parkes lived in the house opposite Park House as seen on the postcard put on here by Scriv 16.10.2011. Park House had a field attached known as Park field. Not

am new to this site has been great reading im colwick born n bred went to st johns colwick till 61 chandos st till 65 any one out there did the same have got class photos from chandos b good catch

Posted Images

Ok lets try to help out and sort out a few mixed up memories along the way !

Dr Parks (Or just plain Parks corner as it was known by my generation) is the Junction of Gedling Road and Burton Road, the road the photo is taken from. The other road, on the right (Which you would have walked down to get to Netherfield) would be Manor Road . Conway Road is the road that leads through to Station Road (and Netherfield ) from the 'Cricket Field' further on towards the railway bridge and BJ.

There is a big clinic here now, biult on the site which was originally originally (192s/30/40s) run by a very benevolant man who (Before the days of the NHS) would treat any body for a pitance if they had nothing . I'm not sure when the big old building was demolished, but I remember it as a kid , cause that was where the school dentist and peadiatrics clinic was!!

Good old G..OooGle Earth

I managed to get three old arial shots of the place

1999 original Dr Parks clinic

6249931885_72b52dc22b_b.jpg

2004 and the new build is under construction

6250461374_c4198e2a87_b.jpg

2007 and it's up and running!

6250461148_52276613dc_b.jpg

YOUR RIGHT CLIFTON IT WAS ORIGINALLY CALL PARK HOUSE I PROSUME IT WAS BUILT FOR THE PARK FAMILY AND SURGERY WHICH CAME FIRST I DONT KNOW BUT AS BEEFY SAYS THIS WAS IN THE 50S TO 1980S THE SCHOOL CLINIC AND DENTISTS. BUT IT WAS A BEUTIFUL BUILDING BIG WIDE SAIR CASSES LARGE ROOMS WITH ALL THE ARGITRAVING AND CEILING ROSES I HATED GOING HERE BECAUSE IT WAS ALWAS FOR SOMETHING NASTY INJECTIONS TREATMENTS OR THE DREADED DENTIST , WHO WAS KNOW AS THE BUTCHER AND YOU ONLY WENT THERE IF YOU HAD NO OTHER CHOISE PUT ME OF DENTISTS FOR LIFE, STILL HATE TO EVEN GO IN A DENTISTS WAITING ROOM. BUT IT WAS A LOVELY BUILDING. SUCH A SHAME THEY HAD TO PULL IT DOWN . ALTHOUGH I AM TOLD THE NEW FACILITIES ARE GOOD THERE..

IF YOU HAD COME DOWN JUST A LITTLE MORE ON THIS MAP YOU WHOULD HAVE SEEN MY OLD SCHOOLAS WERE YOU STOPPED IS JUST ABOUT ON STATION RDAND OUR SCHOOL GATES WAS DIRECTLY OPPOSIT MANOR RD

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

roger did your dad go in the fox and hounds my dad was a big friend of a mr peteman from colwick but carnt remember his first name might have been bill but that could have been bill bartram

charlie lived next door to me aqnd his sister leslie and i were always together still see her every week. charlie now runs his own shooting bussness near bottisford small world

• Upvote 1

roger did your dad go in the fox and hounds my dad was a big friend of a mr peteman from colwick but carnt remember his first name might have been bill but that could have been bill bartram

They could have been mates ,not sure, --- we moved from Carlton to Colwick in the early 70's so who knows -- my dad was Fred Peatman.

I remember Charlie Denoon --- once bought a big old Cadillac Convertible off him when we were all going through the Yank Tank phase.

still got the bike though -- we get a bit more sun here !!

• 4 weeks later...

Digging around for something else, I came across this and Dr Park's corner is still recognisable back in 1904

http://www.pictureth...002031&prevUrl=

My family owned the house on the right of the picture at the corner of burton road and manor road, Godfrey House it was called. Never got to go in it myself, but sure would of done. Wonder if there are any floor plans of it lying about somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I remember Parks corner, always knew it as that, the school dentist practiced his art there, i recall the nurse coming to Chandos St School in the late 50s/early 60s, quick check of your teeth and made the appointment, everyone dreaded it, they put a clamp in your mouth to keep it open then give you gas, you could spot who had been there, they'd be walking back with their Mam or Dad, tears in their eyes, huge scarf wrapped around their face to "

keep out the cold", small wonder our generation hated the dentist for years to come.

• Upvote 3

I've just been with the family to the dentist , results, our Charlotte, nothing, our Adam, nothing, me nothing (I actually asked for my scale and polish of which you are entitled to. SWMBO has to go back for a filling (She didn't take too kindly to me asking the dentist if the reason it couldn't be done there and then was the fact that they didn't have half a ton of 'ready mixed' on the premises !!) Ouch , sorry dear !!

• 4 years later...

Re Park House and Dr Parkes' Corner. Dr Parkes lived in the house opposite Park House as seen on the postcard put on here by Scriv 16.10.2011. Park House had a field attached known as Park field. Nothing to do with Dr Parkes! The photo on the postcard was taken about 1926/7. In front of Dr Parkes' house a few children are standing. My mother is on the picture, standing next to her cousin who is wearing a white dress. My Gt Grandfather John Godfrey had Park House built and he and his family moved in in 1909.

• Upvote 2

The Godfrey House on Burton Road opposite Park House now a new health centre, belonged to Samuel Isaac Godfrey brother to John Godfrey who owned Park House. John and Samuel traded as Godfrey Bros 3 - 5 High Pavement, the Lace Market, just opposite the Pitcher and Piano pub, once the Unitarian Chapel.