• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Parks corner, always knew it as that, the school dentist practiced his art there, i recall the nurse coming to Chandos St School in the late 50s/early 60s, quick check of your teeth and mad

Re Park House and Dr Parkes' Corner. Dr Parkes lived in the house opposite Park House as seen on the postcard put on here by Scriv 16.10.2011. Park House had a field attached known as Park field. Not

am new to this site has been great reading im colwick born n bred went to st johns colwick till 61 chandos st till 65 any one out there did the same have got class photos from chandos b good catch

Posted Images

I remember it being there once when walking past from Carlton to go fishing with my dad down the 'ponds'. I wanted to go on it but my dad said it was closed (Which it was) but he still made us walk the long way round (Up the river towards Nott'm and cut up "Mile End Road" and home via the bridge over the railway at Netherfield and Colwick station) just in case it was open at that time !!. It was years later I remembered this and worked out why we'd gone such a long way out of our route home !!!

Netherfield fair on Jakie Bells field from the 1930s came twice yearly spring and late summer continued on there untill the council decided to try and develope for housing and my mum and other locals put a stop to that as Jackie Bell had left the land to the council but only if it was developed for the use of the children of Netherfield or it would revert back to a trust set up by him . This was in the mid 70s and it was then turned into a proper play ground and has recently been redone and looking really good. when I lived down Deabill St in the 50s early 60s all it was was a large field with bushes and trees were we made our dens.

The old brick yard, or was it Tricketts scrap yard ? . I went to that one a couple of times . I know someone who lived near there didn't I Mick ?

The old brick yard, or was it Tricketts scrap yard ? . I went to that one a couple of times . I know someone who lived near there didn't I Mick ?

By the time I got to the top of Marhill the fair was shut !!

Yes. I lived at the top.

I remember it being up there, mid to late 70s.

Should have had a hotdog stand in my front garden.

Wouldv made a fortune.

The Old yard had some big iron gates which were there untill the houses were built in the 80s.

Incidentally the roof was never the same after someone here went up to install a CB aerial!

• 1 month later...

am new to this site has been great reading im colwick born n bred went to st johns colwick till 61 chandos st till 65

any one out there did the same have got class photos from chandos b good catching up

• Upvote 1

Eh up Wardy

We look forward to your input,

Can you get the photos copied to digital so we can see them?

Photograph them with a digital camera perhaps?

hi mate in oz at the moment home in nz goin back for xmas will sort photos out then

any one remember the nutts all lived in netherfield my mums family

... Husband drove the bus she worked on.

Recall that you posted, some while ago, that Christine Jackson? - during a Nuthall conversation with Hazel - confirmed that to be a fallacy?

Prime purpose of my contribution is to confuse the non-aficionado's, even further... hellothere

Cheers

Robt P.

Remember the road opposite Garfinkles? (With the pet shop on it ?) at the far end it bent to the left to rejoin the main road, Kozi Kots was/is the little bit that branched off to the right.

My Grandad lived on Garnet street many moons ago..the house cost him £150 so quite a while back.An Aunt lived on Arthur Street and used to wind lace in her front room...she let some of her work out to a neighbour,then another and another...she eventually finished up with half the locals doing it and took her cut off each...made a bomb and bought a cottage out of it in Harby,Vale of Belvoir...that was when Nottingham still had a hosiery and lace industry... :dry:

THE NUTTS WERE QUITE A BIG FAMILY IN NETHERFIELD. SEVERAL FAMILIES SCATERD ALL ROUND SOME WERE CUSINS OF KATH AND ALBERT WHO I DO REMEMBER.THE MAP POSTED BY CLIFTON IS GREAT WAS LOOKING AT IT LATE LAST NIGHT. AND IF YOU LOOK CAREFULLY AT DEBIL ST AND THE SUROUNDING AREA YOU CAN SEE JAKIE BELLS FIELD JUST BEFORE BETWEEN ARTHUR ST AND DEABILL ST NEXT TO THE OLD RAILWAY LINE TO THE SHEDS. THANKS CLIFTON FOR THIS I FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING LOOKING AS SEVERAL OF THE PLACES I LOOKED AT I HAVE NOT SEEN FOR MANY YEARS. IF YOU LOOK AT THE MAP YOU CAN SEE HOW I WOULD SAY THAT PART AROUND DEABILL ST WAS LIKE AN ISLAND YOU CAN STILL SEE TWO OF THE RAILWAY LINES. MY HOUSE WAS WERE THE NEW HOUSES ARE JUST DOWN FROM THE JUNCKTION WITH VICTORIA RD. THE WHITE HOUSE ON THE CORNER COUNT 3 HOUSE DOWN AND THEN THE NEW HOUSESAND THERE GARDENS UNTILL THE RAILWAY LINE ON THIS SMALL PIECE OF LAND STOOD 18 HOUSES AND SMALL FRONT GARDENS AND BACK YARDS. ANOTHER THING I FOUND INTERESTING WAS THAT THE RAILWAY CLUB AT THE TOP OF THE STREET STILL HAS THE OLD TIN CLUB ROOM AT THE BACK.ALSO HOW MANY NEW HOUSES HAVE BEEN BUILT ONTHE BOTTEM ST WERE AS MOST OF THE OTHER STS HAVE STAYED THE SAME.

Reading this topic brings to mind a chance conversation I had with a former Carlton resident at the Millenium Stadium, where I'd been to watch Wales play Argentina; freebie from work BTW, didn't pay!

After reminiscing about what was still there vs. what had gone, we agreed that were were likely to be the only two people in Cardiff who knew where Doctor Parks' Corner was.

Just out of curiosity, is that still the common name? Used to catch the 74A Trent bus from Thurgarton to visit friends and family in Netherfield, get off there and walk down Conway Road; every Trent driver knew where it was.

I would presume that Doctor Parks either had a surgery there or owned a house nearby; can someone confirm this?

Me mam was a native of Netherfield BTW, born on Chandos Street though she moved to Burton Joyce at the age of three.