Does anybody remember the shop on chingford road, ran by eric and his wife in the 70's and very early 80's. Then when he retired the Sherwood family bought it, I used to go to school with the son, and after some time the family sold up and just disappeared... The same thing happened at the chinese next door, owned by the Lamb (lam ?) family, i went to school with the daughter, and they just disappeared too. Do i maybe live in the twilight zone? or am i imagining all of this??

• 2 years later...

i know this old topic and no replies so i thought i just mention i knew them early 70s,their surname was Thompson nice couple i was a rep.for A.B.GIBSON and saw them every monday morning to sell them groceries,

Remember em well. Mr Thompson & his wife owned the shop, Eric was a paid employee. I am harking back to the 60s.

forgot about Eric,no wonder he always had smile on his face and Eric always serious :biggrin:

As kids we always hung around Chingford shops when we lived on Astwood around 1979 (14) I smashed the big window with my case ball, Eric lived a few doors down from the shop on Chingford they used to have a beer off round the side selling beer out a pump, they used to have half day closing in the week! Thinking about it they hardly opened!

I will ask my Mum today, but I'm more than sure she still gets a Christmas card off Mrs Thompson?

My mate lived on the green on Chingford Road opposite the shops before they moved to Eastwood. We used to go in the chippy. It didn't open until 8pm in the 60s. I remember the bear-off. I am sure they used the side door at night. Wasn't there a co-op as well.?Was it demolished?

My mate lived on the green on Chingford Road opposite the shops before they moved to Eastwood. We used to go in the chippy. It didn't open until 8pm in the 60s. I remember the bear-off. I am sure they used the side door at night. Wasn't there a co-op as well.?Was it demolished?

Side door they did, the Co-op I remember being built, & demolished. Before the Co-op was a "Farrands" shop on that site.

My best friend lived on Chingford. I remember the shop used to sell single cigarettes!

Can you imagine that now?

"One cigarette and a match please!" "Yes Sir!...That'll be ten shillings thank you!" (A quarter of my first weeks wages!)

:biggrin: All we teenagers who lived at Bilborough during the 60's had: 'a best friend who lived on Chingford'! :laugh:

PS: Wasn't there a wood at the back of Chingford before the Harvey Haddon Stadium was built?

PS: Wasn't there a wood at the back of Chingford before the Harvey Haddon Stadium was built?

Bilborough Wood, it seems to have been called. This map shows the area just before Chingford was built; the beginning of it is marked, but it doesn't go any further.

ching3.jpg

Bilborough Park was a wood before it was a park. As I grew up on Wigman Road in the 50s and 60s I watched them build the park and the stadium. There was no entrance on Wigman Road in the 50s. The big lads used to bend the railings so that we littluns could get in. We were terrified of the kids who lived around Denewood Crescent. We used to call them the Deanies.

Oh. Part of Bilborough Wood was called Holly Wood many years ago. It was the bit that flanked what is now Wigman Road. As I was born in my mum's bedroom, do you think it proper to say that I was born in Holly Wood? LOL.

The Chingford chippy used to be a must do visit for a bagful of chips during our after school evening bike rides.

Without going into detail I recall a certain incident concerning a Chingford Road residents car, a pursuing policeman complete with helmet on his sit-up-and-beg bike, ( Ere', I want a word with you! ) and Bilbraborn getting his collar felt!!!! simply because we were laughing so much we nearly fell off our bikes and couldn't get away quick enough.

• Upvote 1

I remember that incident Pete. Cringe Cringe!!. When that resident opened the door and saw that copper standing there with us he nearly shittisen. Remember that big bloke on the corner of Fircroft Road doing a loud belch. We called him a pig and he said, ' You'll call me an effin pig if I gerrodayer'.

• Upvote 2