Autumn draws in...

So do any Nottstalgians keep an interest in growing anything over the cold dark months at all?

Spring cabbages

Japanese onions

Overwintering plants/corms etc.

Winter baskets - pansies, heathers etc.

Wallflowers

etc.

..or do you have the best of intentions like I do but often beat a hasty retreat indoors when the worst of the weather comes?

I planted some Butternut Squash seeds.

Despite being 6 foot long and loaded with flowers.

None have opened?

If I move them indoors and have them growing round the bedroom, I might be lucky and get some soup on Christmas day?

Knowing my luck they will probaly all be male!

Still harvesting cucumbers (Only tiny this year (3 inches long) for some reason) and my toms ain't started to ripen yet !! got some big 'uns too !! The peppers are still coming through too. Other than that nothing planned for winter.

Winter, in Georgia? !rotfl!

Actually it can and does snow but only usually lasts for a day or two.

Just planted, Collard greens (Like Cabbage only stronger taste) Savoy Cabbage, more Lettuce, lots of Carrots and Winter squash, Turnips. Still have plenty of Green, and Hot Peppers on the vine. Now, if it would only rain!

My Hubby bought me a little green house a few weeks ago a wilko special, its just a plastic frame with four shelves and a pklastic cover, i have no garden just a yard , so i have growing Mint, Pinks , Carnations i am going to get some carrots and other winter veg tho i had to tie it down and put the dustbin in front of it ti stop it from blowing away for the last few days

I have Kale, savoy cabbages, brussels sprouts and leeks growing in my allotment. I`m still picking runner beans and tomatoes in my home garden and I`ve planted some carrots in a big container outside. In the next few weeks I`ll put my overwintering broad beans into root trainers ready to plant out in early November. I`ll also put some sweet peas into root trainers to overwinter ready to plant out next spring. I`ve got some trays of aquilegia and foxgloves on the back bedroom window ledge - if they germinate, that is. That`s about all really - oh, I`ve got a super crop of apples and pears this year. And talking of fruit, I`ve just planted out my strawberry runners to extend the bed. They`re Marshmello - a lovely variety. I`ve got a good selection of earlies, middles and lates now. They`re in the front garden.

Can thoroughly recoment a variety of lettuce Arctic King. Have germinated and grown this variety over the past three winters without trouble. They have grown throughout the coldest weather in an unheated greenhouse and stood outside in severe frost without damage. Only drawback is the leaves will not keep and hav e to be used immediately so only the required number of leaves ae pulled from the outside of the plant.

• 3 years later...

I grew Japanese overwintering onions last year with mixed results. Some did very well whilst others stalled at "Set" size and some simply died. Overall a worthwhile trial for me.

This year I have just planted some rocket in the tunnel and I'm transplanting some strawberries into the greenhouse in the hope of an early crop. I have also found that a sowing of broad beans in the tunnel means that I can get a crop in early June.

Hardneck garlic also does ok here if I get it planted during September/October.