Were you at Berridge?

P-20181125-132323-001.jpg

This image is from 1957/8 and looks as though it was taken outside the infant school. My sister is on this one and would have been in the first year of the juniors. The teacher may be Mrs Peat whom no one seemed to like. She was gone by the time I hit the juniors.

Sis is second row from the front, fourth from the right.  Fifth from the right is Linda Underwood.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

The junior entrance as it was in 1969.

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Thanks CT. First pic is form T4 1953. I am 4th from left on back row. Terry Doaks is in front of me. The teacher on the left is 'Buffalo' Cheesman our science master. Science lab on the left.

Second picture is of the 1953 prefects with Mr Henson the Head. Terry Doaks was NOT a prefect ;)

• Like 2

Julie-s-Berridge-Road-Class-photo.jpg

Taken outside the infant building and showing both Miss Smith the headmistress, on the right, and Miss Smith, teacher of top infants, on the left. The Stephen's Ink thermometer was still there when I arrived in 1962. This photo which has unfortunately suffered some damage, is circa 1957, the year I was born. Sis is on here. Full front row, 3rd from the right.

• Like 1

jschool-2.jpg

Again, from Friends United. Date unknown but looks like 1950s. This was taken outside the infant building and, in the background, at extreme left is the door in the wall I first entered when I began school, aged 4, just inside the Brushfield Street gate.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Julie-s-Berridge-Road-Class-photo.jpg

Taken outside the infant building and showing both Miss Smith the headmistress, on the right, and Miss Smith, teacher of top infants, on the left. The Stephen's Ink thermometer was still there when I arrived in 1962. This photo which has unfortunately suffered some damage, is circa 1957, the year I was born. Sis is on here. Full front row, 3rd from the right.

I'm not 100% but believe my sister is pictured here, middle row (excluding seated floor) second from right. She was born early 1951 so it's possible. Sadly she passed away last year way too soon.

17 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

jthis-is-mr-gibby-class-circa-19ty57-58-

Year unknown. Caption refers to Mr Gibby as the teacher. Juniors, certainly.

How many in the class!!! Think there were about 30ish in my class at Berridge. 

Thanks for posting Jill. I have very few photos of my sister around this age so this is a delight to see. I dare say this same picture is at my brother in laws house but we don't talk, (don't get me started) Having studied it closely there is no doubt it's my Janet. 

I'm really pleased it is your sister. So nice to find a relative on a school photo. Found one from 1930 on a Beeston website a few years ago. My dad's face jumped off the screen, aged 5. I had never seen it before. He had only just passed on so it was a lovely find to share with the family.

I will ask my sister if she remembers the name. Her memory isn't...and never has been... good but if I give her a name she sometimes remembers whereas she wouldn't recall faces.

School photos definitely reflect the era when they were taken.

Looking at the last half dozen which Jill has posted, everybody in them looks exactly like all the kids on my school photos. I could almost be tempted to believe I'm somewhere in there and that I once knew many of those pictured.

• Like 1

If you'd lived on Grimston Road, CT, you would have been on the photos!  If you were a naughty boy, Miss Smith would have wrapped your head in the roller towel and tanned your backside, just like the other bad lads.  It created a diversion from long division!

We visited Grimston Road maybe half a dozen times a year, so through most of the 1960s I was probably there 50-60 times. Yet in all those visits I don't ever remember seeing any children living in the area, although I'm sure there were at least a few (I now know that letsavagoo lived just up from my grandparents).  It seemed to be populated entirely by adults - and old ones at that.

There were quite a few children on Grimston Road. Ian Munroe as Jill recalls. Opposite Ian was Ann Archer who was in my class at Berridge. James Horrocks at 47 so very near your Grandparents CT but he came mid 60's. Roy and Sue Savage and Malcolm and Catherine Nix. If you go to the next road up, Wordsworth  numerous Berridge children. Kevin Hallam, Martin and Jane Jewers, Mick and janet Jackson and the Broomhead boys. Glentworth Road has to have an honourable mention as my wife Jane and her siblings Karen, David, Sue and Joanne all went to Berridge.

Would the mother of Malcolm and Catherine Nix have been the Mrs Nix who kept the hardware shop at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road? It's an unusual name. She had a poodle dog and often came to our house wanting to use the telephone...in fact, she became a nuisance! She always brought the poodle with her, so I didn't mind!  I never knew where she lived.

There used to be a Nix family at Oxton. Our children went to school with theirs. They have a building firm, T.V  Nix which still operates from Oxton. Quite likely related as it’s an unusual name. Just checked - no actual Nix’s in the family now, just a grandson of different name.