Were you at Berridge?

I started Berridge Infants in 1961, but was 4 at the time... Think the parents wanted rid :) Stayed until 1968 when I progressed (or regressed) to High Pavement. Just wondering if Jill Sparrow is the 'Jill M' I remember?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Welcome nlightnd9 who is obviously one of our Berridge alumni.

I am sure I must have known you at Berridge, since you will be around the same age as me but of course, I can't identify you from your Nottstalgia name. I knew several boys who went to High Pavement: Ian Munro and Philip Walker among them. Not sure who 'Jill M' is.

Just thought that, if you are slightly older than me, the 'Jill M' could be Jill Maddern who was in the year above. I have put all my Berridge Photos on Friends Reunited, so if you want to look, you may find your mug shot on one of them...didn't we all look innocent? But then, we were! Jill Maddern appears on the 1966/7 class- with Mrs Price. You may be on there.

Keep posting. Look forward to hearing some of your memories.

• 6 months later...

I was at Berridge till 1961, the place on nuthall road was called berridge nuthall road annex. classes there were for art maths metal work inc bee keeping, and science. ohh and sports, it had a football pitch, and a running track at the bottom, next to the train lines.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on this site much for ages but just found all these replies to the Berridge topic I started. There are plenty of names mentioned I recall. If the Martin Jewers (spelt) is the same one I knew he lived on the next street to me on Wordsworth Road. Had a sister Jane. Martin was very camp and was often seen clip clopping up and down in his mums shoes. Jane Topham I knew and please forgive me if I am wrong but I believe she died some years ago through illness. Charles Haskey lived on Gregory Boulevard. Nice lad who I knocked about with right though my teenage years. He went to Mundella and has or had a high position with the council. Not seen him for ages. Ian Munro I think lived at the bottom of Grimston Road when I lived at the top end although we never had much to do with each other. I have all my school photos stashed away so I'll try to dig them out. I still have the program for Aladdin we did as the Christmas play as my wife, who I didn't know at the time, 2 years younger than me, was a jewel dancer and I was a street beggar so not much change there then. There is mention of the family who lived in the house at the side of the railway footbridge Bobbers Mill. Did the lad there have a leg calliper. I seem to recall a lad wizing around on a bike with one pedal as the other leg was callipered. Seemed to do okay at it. Went over that bridge only the other day when I was at Lomax. The house is long gone although it was derelict for years and was fire damaged. The teachers I remember were Miss Smith, Miss Rogers, Mrs Bull, Mr Cook and Mr Williams. There was of course Mr Kemp who always yelled 'Waken up boy' and seemed ancient and Mr Parr. Mr Baugh was the head. Happy days. Wife and I went to Berridge last year for a look. Chap noticed us pointing etc and asked who we were. He turned out to be the head and spent a good hour of his time showing us around. Nice school and not changed that much and a very nice head although I think he was retiring or moving on.

• 3 weeks later...

Well well, someone else who remembers all those names so familiar to me when I was at Berridge. Yes, I remember Martin Jewers and Ian Munro and Jayne Topham. If it's true that she is no longer with us, that's a tragedy. I'll make some enquiries of friends I am still in touch with.

I think an awful lot of the area (apart from the school itself) has been razed. I prefer to remember it (in my mind's eye) as it was during a very happy childhood.

Nice to read your post. Must admit, I haven't had time to visit the site for quite a while. I'll keep my eye on it now!

I think an awful lot of the area (apart from the school itself) has been razed. I prefer to remember it (in my mind's eye) as it was during a very happy childhood.

Nice to read your post. Must admit, I haven't had time to visit the site for quite a while. I'll keep my eye on it now!

What do you mean Jill. The school has not been razed. It's still there and apart from the huts gone and minor changes it's still pretty much how it was 50 years ago.

Thanks katyjay. I re read the post and realised I had miss interpreted Jill's comment. I feel silly now.

I lived off Churchfield Lane and other than Players Factory having gone the immediate area it is much as it was. But the wider picture is all change.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My partner recently bemoaned the fact that so many people today never take their eyes off their mobile media appendages for long enough to observe their immediate surroundings,

....and as a result of that mentality, it is now difficult and dangerous to walk through a city centre without large numbers of people nearly crashing into you because they walk with their heads down staring at their screen.

Ah yes...politeness. To go back to my Berridge years for a moment, Mr G O Chandler (about whom I have written previously) was mustard when it came to this subject.

"Politeness costs nothing" and "Manners maketh the man" being two of his maxims. Headteacher, Mr J W Baugh was, likewise, very hot on manners. A "Good Morning, Sir", should you encounter him in the corridors, was expected.

Mr Chandler seemed to be forever espousing the merits of "self-discipline" and "self-respect" when I was ten years old and one of his pupils. I recall the stinging rebuke a number of children received as a result of having forgotten to thank him and other staff for taking us on a trip out of school. They didn't forget again!

He seemed a hard number at the time but with hindsight (ah, the benefits of retrospective 20/20 vision!) I can appreciate what he was trying to achieve. Sadly, there are not enough of his ilk around today. There would be no monosyllabic grunting or shrugging of shoulders in his classroom in response to a question, I can tell you. Despite all these devices that pepper our world nowadays...I am not convinced that the art of communication is alive and well at all.

What think you?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

part of my job as a playworker was to teach kids the old street games skipping was always everyone favorite but we had yoyos old wooden ones as well as new plastic one two/three balls the ball in the stocking used on a wall or on the ground snobs whipand top but have to say in my opinion the new ones you can buy are much too lightto get them to work properly in the end we found a man with a wood lathe who experimented with diferent woods till we managed tto get the right weight to get the motion right he aalso made whips for us he sold quite a lot of both carrot bottoms and the mushroom tops he also made stillts for us too by the timme he sadly died he made us lots of old wooden toys some to be played with and others just to show children what children played with wooden hoops dolls trains of course you can still get a lot of these things in modern desighnsbut i still think the old ones are the best.

Hi, My name is Douglas Stewart...... I attended Berridge Road school in the early 50s At that time my name was Douglas Bramley and our family lived on Alfreton Road. I have some good school and Pipewood Camp photo's from that time. I will try and post them . If I have no luck my e-mail is: xxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Doug.

• Upvote 1

Hi Doug and welcome. I attended Berridge Juniors From 53 till 57 , then having passed the 11+ I attended Forest Fields Grammar School . You'll find some good topics here.

Hi everyone,

I have read all your wonderful stories with the hopes of seeing a familiar name but not with any joy as yet. I was wondering if anyone remembers a Peter Haynes I think he may have attended In the early 50s? It would be great if anyone remembers him, he is my papa and lost touch his family at a young age but he has fond memories of his school years at Berridge

Hayley

I am reminded of the old tin-plate toys I used to play with (most of which had belonged to my older sister who had grown out of playing with them).

One was a spinning top which was mesmerising. My father (who had certainly been a bit of a b*gg*r in his youth) told me about a toy he once had, consisting of a circle of tin, marked with the colours of the spectrum. A string ran through the middle of this and the idea was to create tension in the string which was then pulled tight to release the energy it contained, making the disc spin and merging all the colours into "white". I recall creating these out of cardboard in science lessons at school. A scientific bit of fun, you could call it. However, my father persuaded his younger sister (currently in her 84th year) to put her nose next to the tin plate disc as it was spinning. Result: one sliced nose, lots of blood, an hysterical four year old and a wallop for my father who was 10 at the time. Auntie still has the scar- but at least she can laugh about it now.

Those tin plate toys would never be allowed nowadays- because of the 'Elf and Safety (don't you know!). Far too dangerous. How did we survive, I wonder? I remember cutting my finger on a tin plate tambourine: screamed blue murder but it healed and I was more careful in future.

We're tough, us older ones but I certainly think we had more fun!

• Upvote 1

Hi my names pete hillier was at berridge rd untill 1958 nickname was dick hillier remember alan wood , henshaw laurence was his matemate ,mr reid taught r/e he was 6ft 6 and had a mini plushe used to grab you m

by sideburns if you misbehaved orhis steel ruler ;also trever andtony searcy was there I lived in shirlyterrace kirkstead street on hyson green ;im 71 now hope theres some of you still alive hope for some replies someone may remember i was always walking round playground on my hands was good at it and ingym

• 1 month later...

Hi my names pete hillier was at berridge rd untill 1958 nickname was dick hillier remember alan wood , henshaw laurence was his matemate ,mr reid taught r/e he was 6ft 6 and had a mini plushe used to grab you m

by sideburns if you misbehaved orhis steel ruler ;also trever andtony searcy was there I lived in shirlyterrace kirkstead street on hyson green ;im 71 now hope theres some of you still alive hope for some replies someone may remember i was always walking round playground on my hands was good at it and ingym

I am 72 and lived on Selhust St just round the corner from Kirkstead st ,I went to Berridge infants when I was 4 and wondering if anybody remembers me David Collinson ? I had a brilliant childhood and loved it at school but I was always getting the cane off the Head Mistress , (namesake ) Miss Collinson .

Hi, My name is Douglas Stewart...... I attended Berridge Road school in the early 50s At that time my name was Douglas Bramley and our family lived on Alfreton Road. I have some good school and Pipewood Camp photo's from that time. I will try and post them . If I have no luck my e-mail is: xxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Doug.

I went to the last camp at Pipewood it would be in 1953 ,remember Mr Dibbs ?
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Christopher Riley, no less! Hello Christopher. I certainly remember you. I also remember your Mum. The last time I saw her was in Littlewoods in Nottingham many years ago. She told me you were then a DJ in Leicester, I believe?

You dad was in the army, I think? I certainly remember you keeping us all entertained at Berridge. All my school photos are on Friends Reunited now and I think you are on most of them.I am still in touch with Jane Humphreys and we often discuss Berridge Days.Let's have some of your Berridge Memories, I'd love to read them.

• 1 month later...