Were you at Berridge?

A bit short,,,but looks like Eric again,,,back row,third from left..............Snazzy Waistcoat......

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

OK Jill...........does look quite a bit like him.....but smaller.......love the Waistcoat..........

Anyone who went through Berridge Infants will remember Miss Hilda N Smith who taught the final infant class for decades. She was a tough cookie but a good teacher.  Those who weren't taught by her were taught by Mrs Platt in the adjoining classroom. Another tough cookie.

Miss Smith is shown here with a group in the late 50s, I would estimate. It is taken outside her classroom in the playground on the corner of Berridge Road/Brushfield Street.

1958 Class 1B Mr Matthews. Berridge Secondary Boys.  

Jeff Grain, who originally posted this photo, is seated on the front row, extreme left.  These pupils were born between September 1945 and August 1946.

A little after PeverilPeril's time.

@benjamin1945 probably played football with a few of these fellows but, unfortunately, we can identify no one apart from Jeff.

Don't recognise any of em Jill.............but i like the photo,,,looks as if a few of them were my sort of characters....keep em coming Lets''

Feel sorry for the one poor lad still in short trousers..........most of us got out  of em when we were eleven..........

The latest photo is 1959, Class 2A. Mr White. Not taken on the Berridge Campus.

Jeff Grain, again, originally posted this and appears on the back row, second from the left.

Berridge senior Boys sometimes used premises on Nuthall Road. Could it be there?

This group of mixed junior Berridge pupils were born between September 1948 and August 1949. In fact, they were a year ahead of my older sister.

Back row:  Student teacher, name not known,  unknown, John Ward, unknown, unknown, unknown, Robert Lee, George Dunkley, Michael Hamilton, unknown, unknown, David Oldershaw,  Teacher, Mr Wilde.

Middle Row: John Woolley, Angela Dexter, unknown, Adrian Ball, Maureen Pye, Sandra (surname not known), Carole Hawksley, Tony Ward, Barbara Scott, Carolyn Dunkley, Maureen Pilkington, Marion Lamb, unknown, Dennis Turner.

Front Row:  unknown, Ena Matthews,  unknown, Wendy Bridgett, unknown, Jane Salisbury, Marion West, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Johnny Kirk, Ashley Gardener, Andrea Hopcroft, unknown.

Image originally posted by Carolyn Dunkley.

20 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, I think you're in the right area, WW. One person who might be able to shed more light on it is Peveril Peril who knew the area Berridge used down on Nuthall Road.

It looked like the backdrop of the Nuthall Rd annex. The football pitch would be directly behind the pupils.

The same group of 1948/9 born pupils.

Teacher, Miss Winstanley.

Back row:  John Woolley, Johnny Kirk, Robert Lee, Michael Hamilton, unknown first name Henshaw, Tony Ward, unknown, unknown, Dennis Turner, unknown, unknown.

Middle row: unknown, Linda Whysall, Adrian Ball, Barbara Scott, Carolyn Dunkley, Maureen Fox, unknown, unknown first name Palmer, Susan Staples, Maureen Pye, Maureen Pilkington, Pat Munday, unknown, Sandra surname unknown, Carole Hawksley.

Front row: Ena Matthews, unknown, Linda Thompson, unknown, Valerie Pullen, Andrew Hopcroft, unknown, Geoffrey Warren, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Wendy Bridgett, Ashley Gardener and June Newstead.

Originally posted by Carolyn Dunkley.