Were you at Berridge?

My mum also attended Berridge from 1930 to 1937. We only have individual photos from her time there. I have seen whole class photos from that period but she isn't on any of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Posted Images

I was a student teacher at Berridge Road Juniors in 1968. Gerald Chandler was my mentor - great guy - where is he now? I remember taking kids to the Berridge baths - not there now. It was all a good baptism in teaching for me. If I recall, there was only 1 black lad in the school: Everton Johnson - fabulous name!

Jill Sparrow is in phone contact with Gerald Chandler so I’m sure she will respond. Do you remember Trevor Williams, one of the teachers who I have very recently been in touch with.

Welcome DavidJohn.  As Letsavagoo says, I am in contact with Gerald Chandler and he is alive and well. Still very active at 77 this year.

68/69 was my last year at Berridge. I, too, remember Everton but had forgotten his surname. He certainly wasn't the only black lad in the school though.  I recall he wore quite large, round, wire-rimmed spectacles.

I assume you were at Clifton Teacher Training College which is where all the Berridge students came from.

@DavidJohn

I have been in touch with Gerald Chandler who remembers you very well.  I will send you a PM regarding re-establishing contact as he would love to speak to you again.

Everton Johnson, I'm reliably informed worked as a roofer after leaving school.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't think you'd remember much about Gerald Chandler, MD. Berridge was his first teaching post from 1966 to 69. He later returned in 1975 as deputy head and, finally, acting head. He certainly taught your cousin, Steven, who appears on my school photo that year.

I don't remember Mr Sutcliffe. He was after my time.